This Week...January 27, 2023
Blessed Are the Merciful
This Sunday, Pastor Bob will be sharing about the fifth beatitude, “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy” (Matthew 5:7). I’d like to share with you one of my favorite worship songs, written by The Porter’s Gate. The Porter's Gate Worship Project started as a group of songwriters, musicians, scholars, pastors and music industry professionals from a variety of backgrounds who gathered for meaningful conversation about worship and vocation. Over a few years they’ve had various gatherings to discuss and write songs on topics relevant to our walk with God: living out faith at work, celebrating life as neighbors with diverse cultures and races; living justly; lamenting as people of faith, and responding to climate change.
These songs remind me that even as times change and new challenges arrive, God is still alive, active, and speaking in our times. Many of the songs have lyrics taken straight from scripture; all of them are deep and thoughtful.
Listen to Blessed are the Merciful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2el5YwegO0M
Listen to the story of how the Neighbor Songs album was written: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW2dqH1OnYU
How has God reminded you of his continuing presence during times of social, political, or environmental change?
Heather, Worship Coordinator
Have questions and wondering who to contact?
- Anything relating to worship services: Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anything else related to the office, building use, church directory, weekly emails, who to talk to about a question, etc: Anne at email@example.com
This Week's Announcements
- This Sunday
- Congregational Meeting - Jan 29 (after church)
- Weekly Gatherings
- Film Night - Feb 4 (Saturday - sign up required)
- Update from Potluck to Connect
- Opportunities to Serve
- Church App and Directory
- Missing Emails?
- Ways to Give
1. This Sunday
- 10:30 AM - Join us for in person service or on Zoom.
- If you aren't receiving the Zoom link on Sunday mornings and would like to, please contact the church office.
- This Sunday, Pastor Bob Jones will continue with our current sermon series: The Beatitudes of Jesus: Being a Spiritual Zero and the Good Life, speaking on: Blessed are the merciful... Full of mercy means being empty of our dignity. (Hosea 6:1, 4-6, Proverbs 18:23, 21:10, Matthew 5:1-10 NIV) The Sermon Series Guide can be found HERE.
- Missed previous sermons or want to listen again? You will find them HERE. Our apologies for some missing sermon recordings which are unavailable due to technical difficulties.
- 9:15am-10:15am with Paul Birch, Room beside the elevator. We will be starting a study on the Book of Revelation. Everyone welcome!
- 9:15am-10:15am ESL Bible Reading with Margaret Birch, AE Room. New participants are welcome, but need Intermediate English.
Children and Youth
Back from Christmas break this Sunday!
- Grades 1-5 in person, 10:30am. Children join the adults for the first part of the service. They are directed to go downstairs to their groups partway through the services. Parents or caregivers: please pick up your children downstairs after the worship service.
- Youth Grades 6-12, in person and on Zoom, 10:45am. Hybrid format in person in the youth room downstairs, and on Zoom.
- Please email the church office if you would like more information.
Please register your children for our Sunday morning program. https://pointgreychurch.ca/kids-pre-registration
We require parents to fill out our registration form at the beginning of the school year so that we have all the information we need to care for your children.
Health and COVID
There is no vaccination or mask requirement to join us. However, masks are welcome and we encourage you to communicate and respect each other's different needs. If you have any symptoms that might be COVID, please join us by Zoom instead. The BC Centre for Disease Control has more information here.
West Point Grey Baptist Church is calling a Special Business Meeting for THIS SUNDAY, January 29, 2023, following the Sunday morning service.
There will be four motions requiring congregational approval:
1. Motion to extend a call to Mrs. Luz Figueroa as Family Ministries Pastor beginning March 1, 2023. This will be a part time position for a one-year period, after which it will be reviewed for possible extension and full-time position.
2. Motion to amend bylaw Article III, Section 1 (A) as follows: The Annual Business Meeting (AGM) of the Church shall be held before June 30 of each year.
3. Motion to amend bylaw Article III, Section 1 (B) to delete “the acceptance of budgets”, so that the new amended clause reads: The purpose of the meeting shall be the election of Deacons and officers, the presentation of reports, and the transaction of business.
4. Motion to accept the 2023 budget.
(See the draft budget on the Bulletin Board in the Narthex, or contact the Church Office - firstname.lastname@example.org)
There is also a plan to update the congregation on the current situation of the Senior Pastor Search and to present a Job Description. See the Job Description HERE.
3. Weekly Gatherings
Meeting format varies by group (in person and/or zoom) and sometimes changes. Please contact the group leader or the church office (email@example.com) for more information.
- Men's Study and Breakfast: Tuesdays 7:00-8:00am on Zoom (Paul Birch) All men welcome!
- Prayer Meeting: Tuesdays 10:30am at the Church in the Watson Room (Maureen McKevitt) Everyone welcome!
- Chinese Bible Fellowship: Fridays 7:00-9:30pm (Jenny Gu & Mabel Chau) (Zoom)
- Men's Addiction Recovery: Saturdays 10:00am-12:00pm (Dan Gowe)
4. Film Night
Join us for another Fantastic Film Night - Feb 4, 2023 (Saturday)!
Our film nights feature award winning films and discussion facilitated by celebrated film critics Paul Stevens and Pastor Bob. :) It won't be boring!
Location: The Hawes'
Limited seating for 14 but if there are more than 14, this will be moved to the Watson Room at the Church
7:00pm - Tea/coffee and Goodies
7:30pm - Film (to be announced)
SIGN UP HERE
Sundays After Church Service
If you have a need for prayer, members of our prayer team will be available at the front of the church after service.
10:30am at the Church in the Watson Room
Friday Night Prayer - Feb 10 at 7:30pm - AT THE CHURCH (Library)
The second Friday each month, everyone is invited to prayer. This is a time for prayers of worship, thanksgiving, and needs both here and around the world. We will be meeting in person beginning January 13 at the Church in the Library (beside the elevator)
Organized by Elaine Cheung.
To submit prayer requests to the volunteer prayer team, please visit the prayer page on our website: https://pointgreychurch.ca/prayer
Please pray for those who have health concerns or are unable to join us: Jeanne Elliot; Jim Hirtle; Judy Koren; Joan and Henry Kroeker (Purdy Pavilion); Sheila & Doug Johnston; Eric MacKenzie; Dick Williams; Gordon Saunders; Margaret MacPhee
6. UPDATE from Potluck to Connect
An update from last Sunday's Lunar New Year Potluck to Connect...
Close to 90 people showed up for our gala Chinese New Year’s celebration and Potluck to Connect. We had wonderful food, including dumplings made by volunteers from church and young adults from Eve’s group from Navigators. Entertainment and singing was provided by Peter Feng and his helpers, and by Renee Zhang on her ancient Chinese instrument, the guzheng. Joey led us in thinking about what we have appreciated about our church in the past, and what we envision and hope for in the future. Many people shared their experiences and ideas. The room was made festive by decorations by Niki Chen, Jenny and Peter, and others. So many helped volunteer to make this happen. Thanks to the dumpling crew, decorating crew, kitchen crew, set-up crew, cleanup crew, and to all those that brought yummy food to share. Looking forward to the next Potluck-to-Connect!
People serve in our church for different reasons: to connect with and support each other, learn and grow, and to show God's love in practical ways. There are lots of ways to join in! Right now we are particularly looking for the following:
Do you enjoy greeting people you know, and helping new people feel at home? The Welcome Team is looking for 1-2 additional members. If you're interested, talk to Helga Schmidtke or email firstname.lastname@example.org and your email will be forwarded to Helga.
8. Church App and Directory
To access our church app and online directory, please email email@example.com and request a login. For instructions on how to set it up, follow this tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bvykSmxKYU
9. Missing Emails?
On occasion, an email from the church doesn't arrive. In most cases these emails are in the spam folder. What to do?
- Check your spam folder. Mark any church emails there as "not spam."
- For Gmail, create a filter so emails from the church office don't go to spam. Instructions here.
- If the expected email wasn't in spam, please email the church office directly so we can help you!
Looking for more information or to get in touch?
Fill out a Connect Card at: https://pointgreychurch.ca/connecting-card
Leave us a voicemail at: 604.228.9747