God’s “GREAT” Narrative is a rescue story!
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
A High View of God and you is a High view of Jesus’ Authority.
The Great Commission calls for absolute surrender and obedience.
THE AUTHORITY OF JESUS CALLS ME TO FULL UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER AND FULL OBEDIENCE.
Unconditional Surrender and Full Obedience is not a curse it is a gift.
UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER AND FULL OBEDIENCE IS PRACTICAL?
Questions for everyday:
How is this choice a high view of God?
How is this choice a high view of others?
How is this choice a high view of God’s purpose for my life?
The Elder Board at South Lake Wales Church of God gives overall direction and guidance to the work of the church.
The Elder Board is made up of eight men or women who serve staggered three years terms. In addition, two alternates are elected annually for a one-year term. The lead pastor is an elder but is the only staff member on the board.
Elder candidates are identified among South members who have demonstrated:
- a deep commitment to serve the Body of Christ at South in a year-round leadership role,
- capacity to serve as elder, and
- spiritual maturity in their walk with Christ.
Elder Nominees Are Identified by The Following Process
● Holy Spirit. The elders and the congregation pray for the Holy Spirit to guide us to the right people.
● Congregation. Each October, the elders solicit names of potential candidates from staff, lay leaders, and the congregation.
● Nominating Committee. A nominating team of one elder, the lead pastor, and three members of the congregation is designated for the sole purpose of praying and evaluating candidates. Individuals are evaluated using these 5 C's:
- Christ - their personal walk with Jesus.
- Character - do they demonstrate traits described in 1 Timothy 3.
- Competency - what leadership gifts would they bring to the team?
- Chemistry - do they share the values and culture of the team?
- Capacity - do they have margin to serve in this way?
● Lead Pastor. Candidates who align with the vision of the Church and 5 C’s are interviewed by the Lead Pastor, Nominating Committee, and Elder Chair.
●Congregation. Candidates' profiles are presented to the congregation one month prior to the annual business meeting. The congregation votes on the candidates in our annual business meeting each March.
Nomination applications are available in the CMC lobby.
- Cheryl Benson – passing of her husband, Richard
- Art Berg – hospice/cancer (Diane Peace’s brother)
- Jim Black – recovering from surgery
- Christy Castle– cancer treatments (Bill & Bev Brown’s daughter)
- Joyce Darr – health issues
- Millie Denton – therapy in Sarasota
- Lisa Dylina – heart issues (Liz Tingley’s mom)
- Front-Line Health Care Workers
- Lorette Garvey – hospital staff – exhaustion
- Andy Hager – pending back surgery
- Bettie Hale – lymphoma (Cora Coats’ friend)
- Debra Metcalfe Hazelwood – COVID
- Dolly Hunt – liver issues
- Ruthanne Jackson – health issues
- Joel Jenkins – hospice (Anthony’s father)
- Reece Mann – liver bile duct cancer (Joyce Collins’ nephew)
- Mike Marston – brain cancer (Trudy Frank’s brother)
- Mary Munoz – health issues
- National Leadership
- Larry & Charlotte Porter – health issues
- Kim Ritchey – kidney issues
- Janice Robillard – neck surgery scheduled in November
- Lorraine Tucker – health issues (Dave Thomas’ sister)
- Joann VanDeusen – recovering from broken arm surgery.
- Chris Vasher – breast cancer (daughter of Ruaa & Edna Smith)
- Brenda Whetstone – brain cancer (Lida Agnew’s friend)