Genesis Study Group
Small Group • Parachute, CO • 12 members
About this group
- Welcome to our Genesis Study Group! Please watch this quick video introducing our study...Welcome To Genesis StudyWelcome to Genesis Studyfaithlifetv.com
- I have given several articles and videos to watch below. My question to you is why is it important for us to consider these things? Does it really matter what or why we believe what we do about "days" or "origins" or "young or old earth"? Let me know your feedback. If you have not considered these things let me encourage you to do so...
- Here is a good short read on "WHAT DOES THE WORD “DAY” (YÔM) MEAN IN GENESIS?" It does a good job looking both at the Hebrew word and its use in scripture, as well as looking at the structure use consistency throughout scripture. Let me know your thoughts... https://www.discovercreation.org/blog/2020/01/24/what-does-the-word-day-yom-mean-in-genesis/What does the word “day” (yôm) mean in Genesis?? » Alpha Omega InstituteThere are many biblical occurrences of yôm: it appears a total of 2291 times with 1446 being in the singular (a slight majority, 729, appear with awww.discovercreation.org
- Here is a simple article to read over along with a video to consider why we should not believe in millions of years vs what scripture states in Genesis 1... Why Shouldn’t Christians Accept Millions of Years? https://answersingenesis.org/theory-of-evolution/millions-of-years/why-shouldnt-christians-accept-millions-of-years/Why Shouldn’t Christians Accept Millions of Years?Is the age of the earth unimportant and divisive, as some Christians claim? Answers in Genesis thinks not.answersingenesis.org
- I came across this great article on the idea of millions of years. It is a little bit of a read but some great foundational information on the topic. I found it very insightful. Hope you enjoy it... https://answersingenesis.org/theory-of-evolution/millions-of-years/where-did-the-idea-of-millions-of-years-come-from/Where Did the Idea of “Millions of Years” Come From?Today, most people in the world, including most people in the Church, take for granted that the earth and universe are millions and millions of years old.answersingenesis.org
- How do you think the context of knowing when Genesis was written, and who it was originally written for impacts how we study and see the purpose of the book of Genesis?
- The Israelites had been surrounded by a culture in Egypt that worshiped many different gods, and they were most likely questioning who God really was. They had prayed 80 years before Moses came to lead them out of the land that God would deliver them... that's a long time to wait! By the time Moses arrived, they were discouraged and wondering if God truly cared for them. Moses' coming seemed only to worsen their relations with the Egyptian government. Yet as God delivered them and led them toward the Promised Land, He wanted them, and eventually all nations and people to know who He truly is. Through the written record of Genesis we can know He is good, powerful, and sovereign- a timeless message we all need!
- We don't know what other writings may have survived at that time. But for Moses, who was so undeniably authenticated by God as His spokesman in that place and time, to put his stamp or name on this writing of Genesis would make it unquestionable as the authoritative source of truth for the Israelites.
- It is so true that our surroundings, culture, and experiences all vary when it comes to how we approach God. Seeing all the variables out there of worship and writings available to them, yet having God introduced to them as Genesis does would present The One that they were to worship and follow. The authoritative aspect of Genesis is an interesting concept to think about as it pertains not only to the Law that Israel would receive from God but also the authoritative concept of creation, origins, and sin.
- Please take some time to read this perspective as we remember the context in which we were given the book of Genesis.Share Logos DocumentsView and share Logos documents on documents.logos.com!documents.logos.com