Pastor Bert Hitchcock
Gathering to Worship
Prelude: “Christ, By Heavenly Hosts Adored” arr. R. Powell & G. Young
* Call to Worship
* God’s Greeting
* Opening Hymns: “Praise the LORD! Sing Hallelujah” PH 146:1,2,4
“I Love Your Church, O Lord” PH 510:1-3
* Our Faith: Belgic Confession Article 19
Confession and Assurance
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon
Song of Response: “Christ is Mine Forevermore”
Offering Our Prayer and Gifts
Congregational Prayer (Dennis Bosman)
Offertory: “O Beautiful for Spacious Skies: arr. C. Callahan
Offering for Christian Education Fund
The Word of God
* Song of Preparation:
“Lord Speak to Me that I May Speak” PH 528:1,3,4
* Scripture: Jeremiah 29:1-14 (p. 780)
Message: “Honoring God and Country”
* Song of Response: “Jesus Shall Reign” PH 412:1,3,5
* Doxology: “Glory Be to the Father” PH 635
* Postlude: “My Country “Tis of Thee” arr. L. Smith
Organist: Marilyn Kooiman
Pianist: Elaine Vos
WE MOURN the sudden passing of Janet Steiger on Wednesday. Please pray for Jacob, Donna, Rebecca and Eric; Kaysha Steiger and Denise and Renee Storteboom in their loss and for all the family members traveling. The memorial service will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 9.
TODAY we welcome Pastor Bert Hitchcock, retired pastor of Wiser Lake Chapel.
NEXT SUNDAY will be our installation service for Pastor Bryan. The service will be led by Pastor Ken Boonstra and Pastor David Landegent.
WELCOME PICNIC: To continue our day of celebration, plan on attending the welcome picnic for the Dicks next Sunday afternoon. See bulletin insert for more information.
INSTALLATION of elders and deacons will be July 17.
THANK YOU to all the volunteers who worked hard in the last few months to refresh the parsonage and prepare for Pastor Bryan, Stephanie, Carson, Isaac, Lydia and Josiah. How awesome to see so many people show up to help unload the moving van! May God be praised.
REMINDER TO SOUND TECHNICIANS: Please meet upstairs after the service this morning.
NEEDED: Project Hope has an immediate need for diapers, sizes 4 and 5. If you can help, please place your donation in the orange Food Bank tub in the library.
BIKE DAY-TRIP: A biking day on Lummi Island is planned for Saturday, July 23. We will leave Bethel at 10:30 in vans unless you take your own vehicle. Bikes will be placed in a trailer. If you need a bike, talk to Marv before July 23. The cost of the ferry is $8 round trip per person; anyone younger than 19 is free. Bring water and something to eat. For more information call Marv.
Notes from June 28 Administration Team and Council meetings:
1. We welcomed Pastor Bryan. We praise God for safe travels and look forward to working together serving Christ’s church.
2. Admin and Council discussed offering the use of the SHINE house to Summit Ministries to house women graduating from the Agape Home program. A group will be appointed to gather more information and they will share details with the congregation soon.
3. Admin recommended and Council approved discontinuing offerings for the sign fund. A re-evaluation of its purpose, need, location, size, and cost will be reviewed by the Admin Team and a recommendation will be brought to the Council and congregation.
4. Council approved the continuation of the Christian Education Fund for the 2022-2023 school year. Discovery Program fees are also now covered by the fund.
5. Community Care groups received some minor updates. New lists are in your mailbox today. Sunday lunches will begin this fall.
6. The congregation is invited to join the youth group at Bryce Creek Campground the weekend of August 26-27. We will still have our Sunday morning worship at church and following that everyone is invited to the campground for a picnic and an afternoon of worship and fellowship.
7. Council received a summary from Pastor Bryan of Synod’s decisions and a brief report will be given to the congregation soon.