Pastor Bryan Dick
Gathering to Worship
Prelude: “O Love, How Deep, How Broad, How High” arr. M. Burkhardt (see PH 364 for text)
Call to Worship
* Song of Response: “Come, Thou Almighty King” PH 246
* God’s Greeting
* Time of Praise: “O Come, My Soul, Sing Praise to God” PH 297:1,2,5
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon: Litany on Mourning and Sackcloth
Song of Response: “God, Be Merciful to Me” PH 255:1-3
Offering Our Prayer and Gifts
Offertory: “Forgive Our Sins as We Forgive” arr. R. Haan
Offering received for General Fund
Children are invited forward for a Children’s Message as the
deacons come to present the offerings
The Word of God
* Song of Preparation: “Have Thine Own Way, Lord” PH 287
Scripture: Matthew 18: 15-20 (p. 979)
Message: “Staying in Community”
* Song of Response: "Christian Hearts in Love United" PH 513
* Doxology: “Lord, Dismiss Us With Your Blessing” PH 320
* Postlude: “God So Loved the World” arr. A. Whitworth
Organist: Marilyn Kooiman
Readers: Dennis Bosman, Norene Van Andel
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Betty Hollander who will celebrate her 81st birthday next Monday, March 20! Betty’s address is in the church directory.
PROFESSION OF FAITH NEXT SUNDAY: We look forward to having Michael De Young, Katie Hiemstra and Brooklynn Sipma make profession of faith before the congregation. This will be a day of celebrating God's work of salvation, their response of faith in Jesus and God's generational faithfulness.
CHOIR PRACTICE: Please meet in the sanctuary after a short coffee time today for the Lent choir.
COUNCIL NOMINEES: It’s time to seek one shepherding elder, one administrative elder and one service deacon for the next term. Our nominating committee of Randy Knutzen, Norene Van Andel and Carol De Young will identify potential candidates to present to council. The congregation is encouraged to submit names to the committee by contacting one of these members or the church office. Please pray for those who will be asked.
SUMMARY OF FEBRUARY 23 CLASSIS NORTH CASCADES MEETING:
1. Russel Kent was passed examination to become the pastor of Sumas CRC.
2. Approved the Overture to Establish a time of discipleship for those with a confessional-difficulty gravamen be sent to Synod 2023.
3. Delegates to Synod 2023: Pastor: Bryan Dick; Elders: Don Korthuis, Michael Jager; Deacon: Drake Likkel
4. Joe Strong shared about Northwest Hispanic Ministry. They are growing by 30 people every few months. They are in need of sponsors and people to sign for the new people arriving so that housing can be obtained. Joe has personally signed for four families. Would our churches or members consider this? He invited people to come and visit on a Sunday morning at 10 a.m. to see what is happening in the Hispanic churches. Currently, 13 people studying in a reformed seminary.
HELP BACKPACK BUDDIES: During the month of March, we will be collecting cans of tuna for the Backpack Buddies program at Lynden School District. Backpack Buddies helps keep underprivileged children nourished on the weekends when there are no school meals. Please place your cans of tuna in the box in the church library. Questions? Contact Sue Meenderinck or Joan Vander Haak.
DEVOTIONALS: Special Easter devotionals from Our Daily Bread are available in the back of church. Please feel free to take one.
PLEASE NOTE that Bethel no longer accepts used cell phones or eyeglasses to donate.