Bowman Community Church
Church • Cottonwood, CA • 45 members • 22 followers
About this group
We desire to reach the world with the wonderful message of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. Soli Deo Gloria.Follow
- The battle over pronouns -- I completely agree with this post: https://www.str.org/w/do-pronouns-matter-Do Pronouns Matter?Doesn’t Christian witness require love, and doesn’t love require that we use people’s preferred pronouns? No, and here’s why.www.str.org
- "God will either give us what we ask or give us what we would have asked if we knew everything he knows." -- Tim Keller
- I'm almost done with Ortlund's latest book, "Deeper." The Luther quote below is from that book. Here's a section from that book on mortifying sin: https://www.crossway.org/articles/you-need-christ-to-put-your-sin-to-death/You Need Christ to Put Your Sin to DeathChristian salvation is fundamentally a matter of grace, rescue, help, deliverance—it is God invading our miserable little lives and triumphing gloriously and persistently over all the sin and self he finds.www.crossway.org
- Luther: “He who would correctly and profitably read Scripture should see to it that he finds Christ in it; then he finds life eternal without fail. On the other hand, if I do not so study and understand Moses and the prophets as to find that Christ came from heaven for the sake of my salvation, became man, suffered, died, was buried, rose, and ascended into heaven so that through him I enjoy reconciliation with God, forgiveness of all my sins, grace, righteousness, and life eternal, then my reading in Scripture is of no help whatsoever to my salvation. I may, of course, become a learned man by reading and studying Scripture and preach what I have acquired; yet all this would do me no good whatever.”
- Simple faith and trust in the existence of God and Jesus is ALL that is necessary for Survival, Salvation …. all that really is meaningful in our lives. Studying scripture focuses us on the knowledge of the Lord’s requirements and His Creativity and life story.
- Jerry, I appreciate your word "trust," because trust is different from mere faith in the existence of God. As you know, the demons believe and tremble. They definitely believe in the existence of God. Trust takes things a step further. If I trust that a certain restaurant has great food, I'll eat a meal there. If I trust that Jesus is the only Savior, I'll trust him for that salvation. Trust is life changing. We're going to obey the One we trust. So true is this that James says, "You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." Using your words, we have salvation when we have knowledge, when we have faith (ascent that God & his story is true), and then when we trust. If there is no life change, then there obviously isn't any trust.
- This won't take long -- it's worth reading: https://gentlereformation.com/2021/09/18/for-better-for-worse/For better, for worse…Last week I came across a remarkable story. Jean-Pierre Adams was a French footballer in the 1970s and 80s, and he passed away on the 6th September, aged 73. He was capped 22 times for France, and was part of a formidable defensive duo for the national side. He playedgentlereformation.com
- I think that is a very important post for Christian Americans: https://www.haretranslation.com/2021/08/29/do-you-believe-in-magic-3-3-magic-for-americans/Do You Believe in Magic (3/3) Magic for Americans - Hare Translation JourneyI often have trouble sleeping when we are in Cameroon. One of the many things that bothers my sleep is that I often hear people calling out to me in the night. I then find myself waking up while opening the front door, or calling back out the window. Of course, at that point I realize that there is no one there. When I talk to my neighbors about this, they often get very afraid. They tell me that when you hear someone calling out to you in your sleep, it is someone using magic against you. They warn me...www.haretranslation.com
- I have found to be true that the prayer of faith and trusting God for the outcome must go hand in hand. Otherwise, we risk treating God like a genie in a bottle and being disappointed when we don't get our way. In times of disappointment and lack of understand, we must remember that God works all things for our good. Tammy and I are dealing with both physical and emotional hardships. There is an added layer of stress brought on by beloved family members living in denial, some accusing and causing divisions among us. The main thing that helps comfort my anxieties is continually praying and trusting in God. Knowing that others are praying for us is also a great comfort. Thank you to all who are praying for us. We hope to be back in church soon. We love and miss you all.
- Excellent article Pastor; thank you for sharing
- “I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and to help others to do the same.” —C. S. Lewis
- Here are Todd Beamer's last words on Flight 93: https://www.dennyburk.com/transcript-of-todd-beamer-on-flight-93/Lisa Beamer’s Account of Todd Beamer on Flight 93Todd Beamer was an evangelical Christian and one of the heroes of Flight 93 on September 11, 2001. His last conversation with a telephone operator named Lisa Jefferson bears witness to great courag…www.dennyburk.com