Student Pastor • None
- "The chief glory of heaven, the true heavenly-mindedness, the chief of the graces, is humility." A short read, broken into 12 easily workable chapters. Based on the example and words of Jesus, this is very helpful for those of us looking to deepen our own humility. Murray is very a smooth read and often quotable. His exposition of the text is direct and applicable. This ought to be one of those books that are required reading for all entering the ministry.
- Ladd has long been known for his great exposition of eschatology. This volume is written at a high layman level and thoroughly explores the nuances between Pretribulational Premillennialism and Historic Premillennialism. A great study for those interested in details about the Rapture.
- Paige Patterson in his commentary on Revelation cites this so many times that you can recreate half or more of the book. Every citation was worthwhile and made me dig into this work as a primary source.
- Perhaps the greatest exposition of Ephesians 6:10-20. As with any work of its age, it is very wordy, just look at the title alone: THE CHRISTIAN IN COMPLETE ARMOUR; OR, A TREATISE ON The Saints’ War with the evil: WHEREIN A DISCOVERY IS MADE OF THE POLICY, POWER, WICKEDNESS, AND STRATAGEMS, MADE USE OF BY THAT ENEMY OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE A MAGAZINE OPENED, FROM WHENCE THE CHRISTIAN IS FURNISHED WITH SPIRITUAL ARMS FOR THE BATTLE, ASSISTED IN BUCKLING ON HIS ARMOUR, AND TAUGHT THE USE OF HIS WEAPONS; TOGETHER WITH THE HAPPY ISSUE OF THE WHOLE WAR. Still, it is very much worth the read, easy enough to follow and very, very quotable. If you are studying this passage or Ephesians, you would be remiss to not include this in your readings. William Gurnall and John Campbell, The Christian in Complete Armour (London: Thomas Tegg, 1845), i.
- I could not write a better review, so I link to this one: http://mereorthodoxy.com/generous-spaciousness-gay-christians/ If you are Conservative, Reformed, Evangelical, this is not for you.
- This is the definitive work on Definite Atonement. Beginning with the authors heart to write on the subject, the book flows through the history, development and application of this doctrine. Each section is written by a master of the subject. While it is written at a college level, it will still be able to be followed by the student of the Word looking for more on the subject. For those who like to chase footnotes, there are plenty and many are in Logos.