#18:Why Does The Pastor Give a "Charge and Benediction"
Why does the pastor give a "charge and benediction" at the end of the worship service? Christian worship does not end at the conclusion of corporate worship. Rather, we go forth from the sanctuary to love and serve Christ in daily living. The pastoral Charge is a distillation of the Word of the God into a formula for action. The Charge makes clear that worship guides the congregation into God's mission to the world -- you have heard the Word of God, now go and live it! This is no small task, so we need God's grace and assistance. For this reason, the pastor couples the Charge with a Benediction. "Benediction" means "blessing." Just as the ancient priests blessed the people to invoke God's mercy and faithfulness over them, the pastor blesses the congregation in the name of the Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We are blessed to be a blessing. Departing with the Charge and Benediction orients us and empowers us to pursue our chief end: to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.
- Every time we come down the driveway to the church we pass the stone and chalice. Does anyone know where it came from?
- The stone is a cornerstone from the old Faith Church building that held a time capsule (the carved space.) John thinks the chalice was in time capsule but not sure. Maybe someone else know this… Christie C., Jan C….
- Thanks so much Nancy.
- You are right about the stone, but not sure about the chalice being in the capsule. However, I am sure it was among items from the old church.
- Obituary for Alice Auld, mother of Donna Lukich:Obituary for Alice V. Rossi Auld at William G. Neal Funeral Homes,Ltd.Alice V. Rossi Auld, 89, of Washington, formerly of Chartiers Township, died peacefully, Friday, August 12, 2022, in Southminster Place, her home of the past 12 years. Her devoted daughter was at her side when she went to be with her Lord and Savior. Alice was born on August 21,www.nealfuneralhome.com
Please pray.Notification of Death: Alice Auld Faith Church, please keep Donna Lukich and family in your prayers as they mourn the passing of Donna's mother and our church member, Alice Auld. She went home to be with the Lord this morning, peacefully and attended by her family.
- Donna, I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Prayers for you and the entire family. Love, Debbie
- Donna, so sorry for your loss, prayers for you and you family.
- Obituary for Alice V. Rossi Auld at William G. Neal Funeral Homes,Ltd.Alice V. Rossi Auld, 89, of Washington, formerly of Chartiers Township, died peacefully, Friday, August 12, 2022, in Southminster Place, her home of the past 12 years. Her devoted daughter was at her side when she went to be with her Lord and Savior. Alice was born on August 21,www.nealfuneralhome.com
- Notification of Death: Doug Boggs Please keep our church family member, Carolyn, and family in your prayers as they mourn the death of Carolyn's husband, Doug. The obituary is attached. https://www.piattandbarnhillfh.com/obituary/mark-doug-boggsObituary for Mark "Doug" Douglas Boggs at PIATT-BARNHILL FUNERAL HOMEMark Douglas Doug Boggs, age 70, of Washington, died Saturday, August 6, 2022 in Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh. He was born July 7, 1952 in Pittsburgh, a son of the late Richard and Dorothy Yama Boggs Ealy. Doug was a 1971 graduate of Trinity High School and attended electrical trainingwww.piattandbarnhillfh.com