RUrecovery Discovery TripApril 5, 2019 - 7:00 PM - 9:00 PMPastor Lane and William, the church leader of Astatula Baptist Church's RU recovery invite us to attend their 9th year celebration of their RUrecovery program. Astatula Baptist Church ministered to the needy in the area and sense then has doubled in membership. Please plan to be part of this discovery.
- PO - If you drink before you drive, you are putting the quart before the hearse.EST - Our text will note what God thinks about drinking.ESS - Our message will describe the evil associated with alcohol.OSS - At the end of this message we will ask what this church can do to make a difference to those hooked on drinking and drugs.INTRO - It seems that most anyplace we look, drinking is accepted. It’s in the tv we watch, somehow connected with sporting events, and the crutch many lean on to settle them at the end of a day.Booze kills people, but you don’t see our lawmakers pushing laws against booze.It seems our officials lack wisdom when comes to issues related to drinking.Child seats, vote yes.Don’t want children hurt in an accident.Yet, most car wrecks are because people are drinking.If we stop drinking and driving, most accidents disappear.So many people drink booze; wonder how many lawmakers drink the stuff?Society may think well of drinking, but that only makes the terrible effects of drinking worse.TRANS - This morning we will see how it is that God views drinking.We will examine three evil things brought on by booze.What does it say?Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.What does it mean?
Baseball slugger Mickey Mantle is a tragic picture of how alcohol abuse can destroy what we value most. After treatment at the Betty Ford center, Mantle went public with his story of forty-two years of alcohol abuse. For a man blessed with incredible strength, ability, and good things in life, it is a story of loss.
Alcohol destroyed Mantle’s mind. “I could be talking to you and just completely forget my train of thought …,” says Mantle. “I’d forget what day it was, what month it was, what city I was in.”
Alcohol destroyed Mantle’s peace of mind. “I had these weird hangovers—bad anxiety attacks …,” he writes. “There were times when I locked myself in my bedroom to feel safe.”
Alcohol destroyed Mantle’s body. “The doctor … said, ‘Before long you’re just going to have one big scab for a liver,’ ” recalls Mantle. “ ‘Eventually you’ll need a new liver.… The next drink you take might be your last.’ ”
Alcohol diminished Mantle as a baseball player. “The drinking shortened my career …,” says Mantle. “Casey [Stengel] had said when I came up, ‘This guy’s going to be better than Joe DiMaggio and Babe Ruth.’ It didn’t happen. God gave me a great body to play with, and I didn’t take care of it.”
Alcohol robbed Mantle of a deep relationship with his four sons. “One of the things I really screwed up, besides baseball,” he writes, “was being a father. I wasn’t a good family man. I was always out, running around with the guys.”
When God warns us against drunkenness, he isn’t a spoilsport; he’s a lifesaver.TRANS - With this in mind, let’s now consider our first point.Substance abuse makes people foulmouthed. “Wine is a mocker”Drugs, booze, anything that causes a person to not be sober-minded, these things “mock” the indulging person.Things that cause a person to loose sobriety, they cause a person to loose control of what they say.These things mock the person.Drunks get loud, boastful, and they are not shy to speak out against anyone who dare cross them.A drunk does not speak wisely, but stupidly, and ill-mannered.Drinking causes people to say and do things they’d not say or do when sober.Alcohol cause people to become foulmouthed and foolish.Alcohol mocks everything wholesome.Drinking makes people into fools.People say drinking loosens the tongue and helps them socialize.
Although it’s long been known that excessive drinking damages the brain, a new report contends that even “social drinking” destroys brain cells. At the 28th International Congress on Alcohol and Alcoholism, Dr. Melvin H. Knisely, professor of anatomy at the Medical College of South Carolina, offered evidence to show that when a drinker begins to feel the least bit giddy, a few of his brain cells are being killed. A heavy drinking bout can damage or destroy as many as 10,000 such cells.By their own admission, booze is in control of their tongue, not God, not common sense, not soundness of mind.The mouth loosened by booze is free to speak.Sadly, booze mocks and the person is unable to control themselves once booze has control.TRANS - Substance abuse makes people foulmouthed. Let’s now turn to another result often accompanying the consumption of booze.Substance abuse makes people fighters. “strong drink is a brawler”
When the blood stream is 2/10 of 1 percent alcohol the drinker thinks he can fight anybody in the crowd; when it is 4/10 of 1 percent he is in a drunken stupor; and when it is 6/10 of 1 percent he is in danger of death.Drinking changes people; Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde.Booze turns people into mean, cruel, and criminal-like crazies.ILL - Last Sunday following our church service I stopped to talk with two of our local sheriff deputies. One thing we talked about was the need to help people find a way to get free from the booze and drugs. One of the deputies stated that, “crime would drop significantly.” And, “Most [crimes] are drug motivated.This local law official clearly noted how mind influencing substances, like booze, leads to the majority of crimes in Minneola.Booze causes crimes.If drinking and drugging were stopped, crime would drastically drop.ILL - In the news we know that bars are the scene of many fights:Florida State Bar Fight - “She called me the N word”Bar Brawl - The fight at DonovansBar Fight Leads to Stabbing of Niceville ManFlorida Keys Brawl Leads to Multiple Injuries and $1200 in damageThat’s just the first several internet hits; it goes on and on.If people drank soda, water, or Gatorade, we’d not have these fights.It is the alcohol that turns people into fighters.It is the drinking that changes people into raging, brawling, crazies.If stores, parks, or even churches turned out crazy fighters, our legislators would close us down.However, with booze, that’s another story.Most of our legislators won’t touch that issue.Makes me wonder how many of them are drunks?TRANS - Substance abuse makes people foulmouthed fighters. What other not-so-becoming characteristic accompanies this vice.Substance abuse makes people into fools. “whoever is led astray by it is not wise”Booze deceives, beguiles, fools people.Alcohol deceives the drinker and most of our society.The deceptive drink says, “Only a little won’t hurt.”
Is Liquor A Disease?
1. It is the only disease that is contracted by an act of the will;
2. It is the only disease that requires a license to propagate it;
3. It is the only disease that is bottled and sold;
4. It is the only disease that requires outlets to spread it;
5. It is the only disease that produces a revenue for the government;
6. It is the only disease that provokes crime;
7. It is the only disease that is habit-forming;
8. It is the only disease that is spread by advertising;
9. It is the only disease without a germ or virus cause, and for which there is no human corrective medicine; and
10. It is the only disease that bars the patient from heaven.ILL - I’ll be the first to say that the Bible clearly teaches drinking is a sin and not a disease. I know lot’s of people want to call it a disease, but they are not my authority; the Bible is my authority in all things in faith and practice. That is one of our Baptist distinctives.Some people are, in some biological manner, more easily influenced by booze.It makes more sense to never drink than indulge even just a little.Why chance it?
The Christian Ideal
We talk about temperance, but the Christian ideal is total abstinence. If we would be true to the highest and holiest within us through the indwelling and power-filling Spirit, total abstinence is not merely an ideal. It is the only practice for a Christian!Alcohol companies are deceptive as the products they produce.Many give to charitable causes.Many even warn people not to “drink too much.”Society is deceived into thinking that booze is acceptable.Booze deceives people into thinking it is the life of the party when actually it brings on death.TRANS - We noted drinking turns people into foulmouthed fighting fools. Yet, this is only a small part of the picture of the sort of evil-associated with substance abuse.As we move to close this message, let me remind you that this is Substance Abuse Sunday.Please take time this week to pray for and reach out to those affected by substance abuse.What do we do with this?Society says making alcohol illegal only leads to an increase in crime.Many states are making pot legal.Police tell us that drugs are responsible for more than half the crimes.Statistics teach us that alcohol is the leading cause of car accidents.God’s Word is clear on the matter of substance abuse.Substance abuse is a sin.Society will not make laws preventing sin.Only Jesus will free humankind from the bondage of sin.Let’s make a commitment to teach people the evils of substance abuse and the freedom they can have in Jesus.
The Drunkard’s Child
My father is a drunkard,
My mother she is dead,
And I am just an orphan child—
No place to lay my head.
All through this world I wander,
They drive me from their door;
Someday I’ll find a welcome
On Heaven’s golden shore.
Now, if to me you’ll listen,
I’ll tell you a story sad
How drinking rum and the gambling “hell,”
Has stole away my dad.
My mother is in Heaven
Where God and the angels smile.
And now I know she’s watching
Her lonely orphan child.
We all were once so happy
And had a happy home,
Till dad he went to drinking rum,
And then he gambled some.
He left my darling mother,
She died of a broken heart;
And as I tell my story,
I see your teardrops start.
Don’t weep for me and mother,
Although I know it’s sad,
But try and get someone to cheer
And save poor lonely dad.
I’m awful cold and hungry—
He closed his eyes and sighed,
And those who heard his story
Knew the orphan child had died.
—Author UnknownLet’s be that praying church that seeks to help people afflicted with substance abuse.Let’s make a difference for Jesus, others, and society.(end)
- Love Lifted Me
Please take a moment to send us your information so that we may stay connected with you. Your information is carefully managed and protected.
I am a:
How did you hear about us?