"I Learned A New Word Today"
Do you remember when your children were in grade school and they came home from school and the first words out of their mouths were, “I learned a new word at school today”? You did not know if you were about to be proud because of their growing vocabulary, or if you needed to reach for the soap.
Well, I learned a new word this week. It is: Phygital. Don’t bother looking it up in your dictionary because you will most likely not find it. The word describes the “new normal” for the church. It is a combination of physical and digital. The trend for churches to go digital – to put their services online, which began last Spring when the word coronavirus was introduced into our vocabularies, has now become the norm. Now, churches must focus on having services both in the building (physical) as well as online (digital). According to people who study such things, the digital church is here to stay, even if the coronavirus completely disappears from the face of the earth.
For most churches, the focus of online church was to provide content to people, to try to make it seem like even though they were home, they were still part of the service. They might sing along with the song service, they might close their eyes and join in prayer, they might listen to the sermon and follow the Scripture, and they might take communion at home. But church is more than a service once a week, it is community. And the growing focus now for online church is to build community with those online. This need to build online community is something we want to begin building here. This is a whole new concept for us, and for probably about 99% of churches that have begun online services since last Spring. We are beginning to gather information on how to build online community. It is possible, and not that expensive, but it will take people and time.
We are talking about more than sitting in the back and keeping the camera going and transmitting the service to Facebook and You Tube (although we could use some help in that area). We are talking more about developing an Online Ministry Team that will focus on developing an outreach and follow up through Facebook and You Tube, and other digital methods that may arise. If this is an opportunity that interests you, text (660-676-7732) or email (email@example.com) me and let me know. Since we are in the very early stages of forming a Team, we don’t really know what we need, or even what we are doing. But you can learn with us and develop this online ministry with us. According to some statistics that I have seen, about 17% of the adult population will be in a church on Sunday morning, and that number is declining every year. But the majority of the other 83% check Facebook on average of 14 times per day. Would you like to be in on the ground floor of an opportunity to try to reach out to that 83% in our area to connect with them, interest them in the gospel, and lead them to become followers of Jesus and part of His community? I look forward to hearing from you and working with you to develop this part of our Phygital church.
Thanks for reading,