Traces of Grace
Thoughts from Pastor Scott
Dear First Methodist,
This week we’ll wrap up our “Better Together” series looking at how the church is called to move toward the world as a missional community. The natural outcome of being a community called to bear the image of God is that our hearts get turned outward. We are saved, not just as individuals, but into the community of faith. As we come into that body, God works through us to bring others in as well.
This is at the core of our mission as the followers of Jesus. When Jesus was about to ascend back to the Father, he told his disciples to “Go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you.” We want to be a community of disciple-making disciples that goes where the people are and is the vessel through which Jesus brings transformation in lives and communities.
There are so many ways that this happens and that is one of the beautiful things about the Kingdom of God; God doesn't work through cookie cutters, He works through people. Let's ask God where He is calling us to join Him in mission, how He wants to use us as missionaries, and who is in our mission field. And then, let's go where He sends us, be who He's called us, and do what He asks us.
Grace & Peace,
SUNDAY WORSHIP SERVICE
We invite you to join us this Sunday as Pastor Scott completes the series, Better Together: The Church as a Community, with the third message titled, "Moving Toward Our Community as a Missional Community", from 1 Peter 4:8-11. You won't want to miss it! We encourage you to read this passage of scripture and to pray for Pastor Scott as he prepares for both services.
The link to access the livestream will be available on our website at fumccollingswood.org, where you’ll also be able to view a recording of the service throughout the week.
Fall Sunday Morning Schedule
- The Together in Christ Adult class led by Carol Doron, Pat Sheaffer, and Ruth Anne Detwiler will be in the Parlor at 9:00am.
- An Adult Class led by Meg Rambo will be in the Conference Room at 9:00am.
- Students in grades 6-12 will meet in the Youth Room upstairs at 9:00am.
- Students in Pre-K - Grade 5 will meet on the 4th floor of the Education Wing at 9:00am.
- Coffee, tea, and water will be available in the parlor/lobby area during the Fellowship Time
- The Berean Forum Adult Class led by Karry Corbitt will be in the Parlor at 10:30am.
- A kids program for children Pre-K - grade 2 will be held upstairs at 10:30am.
- A Nursery will be available upstairs at 10:30am.
Current Sermon Series
Our current sermon series is "Better Together: The Church as Community." We have been looking at what it means to move toward God in worship, toward one another in connection, and toward our community in mission and how we're called to do all of that together, as a community. We hope you'll join us for this series because we really are "better together."
This 3-week series launched on September 12 along with our new Sunday morning schedule:
Sept. 12 - Moving Toward God as a Worshipping Community - Hebrews 10:19-25
Sept. 19 - Moving Toward One Another as a Connected Community - Colossians 3:12-17
Sept. 26 - Moving Toward our Community as a Missional Community - 1 Peter 4:8-11
Church Conference - Save the Date!
Our annual Church Conference will be held in the sanctuary Wednesday, October 13 @ 7pm. Reach out to the office if you have any questions at email@example.com.
Soul Cafe's Semi-Annual Event Date Change-
The last of Soul Cafe's summer fundraising events is their, Semi-Annual Chicken BBQ, being held Saturday, Oct. 2nd, 11:00 am until sell out! For more information, flyers can be found on the church entrance table.
Prayer Shawl Ministry
We would like to invite anyone who crochets or knits or would like to learn, to join us for Prayer Shawl Ministry each month. Our next get together will be Thursday, Oct. 14th, at 1:00pm, at the home of Shirl Latch. Any questions or additional information please call Shirley Latch at : 856-854-4777.
Operation Christmas Child- Shoe Boxes
Christmas Child Shoe Boxes will be available beginning this Sunday, 9/26. An Instruction sheet will also be available and it is strongly urged that it be read before filling the boxes. This Sunday, Miss Pat will be explaining that there is a new "twist" or option for this year's event. This could be of interest to those of you that aren't able to shop for the contents of a shoe box and still wish to participate- Just place $20.00 cash in the "white envelope", drop it in the offering plate and we will do the shopping for you!
Thanks for being a part of this important ministry to the children of our world! If you have any questions please contact "Miss Pat" Gunning - (856)962-8010
Upcoming Sermon Series - "Made for More"
Mission Partnership -
Seeds of Hope Ministries', CELEBRATION BANQUET, will be held Thursday, October 7, 2021, at Sovereign Grace Church, Marlton NJ beginning at 6:15 pm. Tickets are available online in their weekly e-newsletter and Social Media. They invite us in celebrating God's work in Camden!
If anyone has an abundance in your gardens that you'd like to share with our church family, please know that there is a basket in our church entrance area for you to drop off your harvest! It will be there for all to have access to, before or after church service, and it will be a "first-come, first-serve" basis. Thanking you in advance for your generosity!
We praise God and thank Him for all the prayers that have been answered throughout this challenging time and also:
- For all God is doing, even in the smallest of details!
- For our freedom to worship together in person.
- For members of our church family who have recovered from surgeries, treatments and illnesses.
September's - Verse of the Month
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Wednesday Night Prayer meeting continues each week, beginning at 7:00 pm in the Church Sanctuary. All are invited to attend!!
"Prayers in the Garden" is a time to gather and pray over the requests of our congregation and happens every Monday through Thursday! Feel free to come and join us beginning at 8:00am. We will be gathering at the end of the Parsonage's driveway.
Please continue to pray for...our homebound members; our church members who are in need of spiritual, emotional and financial care; any families and relationships that have been strained during this time, our Troops, our Missionaries and for those who are struggling from Hurricane Ida - the list is long, but God is BIG!
Please pray for the following:
- Pastor Scott & Meg - for the Lord's guidance & direction in all matters and decisions.
- Dave & Marjie Hammond and Family
- Shirley Latch - needs to see orthopedic doctor for her back & leg pain.
- Sherry Rappe's sister, Jana - upcoming doctor appointments for her diagnosis of cancer.
- Lorraine Rudderow -feeling better but needs to gain strength.
- Linda Adams son-in-law - received a kidney transplant and is doing well. The donor was from a deceased child - prayer for all!
- Linda Hamrick -continues to recover .
- Carol & Bud Shropshire - health issues; son David's cancer; grandson Brian's cancer.
- Karen Kline, her son, Craig & his family - as he continues his cancer treatments.
- Nicholas Ferrara(Grandson of Charles & Joan)- presently serving in Saudi Arabia.
- Charles Ferrara
- Arnie Arnold - continued serious medical issues.
- Gus Mondatsos - seeking pain management for his back.
- Joel & Kay Shannon- grandson Andrew Sperry, helicopter pilot, has been recently deployed.
- Please be in prayer for our new schedule that began on Sept. 12th. It includes new times for Sunday Services, Sunday School classes for youth & adults, and Fellowship time in the church parlor for all.
- SPRC - upcoming projects.
- Charge Conference - Oct. 13th, 7:00pm.
- Our Missionaries
- God’s hand upon our towns, state and country and our elected leaders.
If you have any other prayer concerns or ways we can serve you please let us know. We desire to journey with you.
Remember, you are loved!
In His Grace,
The FUMC Staff