Traces of Grace
Thoughts from Pastor Scott
One of the reasons we are looking at the Psalms this summer is because of the way they express the diverse emotions we experience as we go through life. I don't know about you, but I don't feel the same thing every day or in response to different things. There are times...
- when I get angry at the injustice in the world.
- when I've been sad or depressed.
- when I am impatient.
- when I've been grateful.
- when I'm joyful or excited.
- when I want to be with other people
- when I want to be alone.
- when God seems near.
- when God feels far away.
So many different emotions. So many different experiences. And I think the Psalms show us that, no matter what we are going through, we can still walk with God. What we experience in a moment doesn't change who God is.
I hope as we read through Psalms this summer, you will take the time to reflect on how the writer of each Psalm was experiencing life and what they believed about God in the midst of it. And I hope that brings you some comfort, as it has comforted me, to know that God is with us in the midst of the things we go through in life.
Grace & Peace,
Music is a big part of life. And not just playing music or singing, I mean the music that we listen to and which becomes the soundtrack to our lives. Somehow, maybe because our rhythm of life changes, or because we take more road trips or day trips, but somehow, summer in particular seem to be marked by certain songs. Maybe that's true for you too.
This summer, from July 1 through September 4, our sermon series will be "The Songs of Summer: A study in the Psalms." In this series we'll be look at a selection of Psalms, which were the songs and poetry of the people of Israel. We're going to look at how these Psalms arose from the experience of the Israelites, how they shaped their faith, and how they express things that are common to all of us.
9:00am Sunday School (GSC, 9:15am)
10:00am Combined Worship Service
July Youth Events
July 13th - Snacks and Games Noon-3pm
July 27th - Family Gathering 6:30pm-8pm. Parents can come and Fellowship while the Youth discuss their desires for the ministry this year.
Every Sunday this Summer - Sunday School at 9am
Summer Gatherings - Andrade's
As we welcome Jeremy & Rebecca Andrade to the First Methodist family this summer, we want to create some opportunities for you to get to know each other. We are working to put together a schedule of small group gatherings for this summer and early fall and we would love for everyone to participate. If you are interested in attending or hosting a gathering, please call the church office. Thank you.
Vacation Bible School is here!
Mark your calendar for the remaining Vacation Bible School days Wednesday, July 13th, Wednesday, July 27th, Thursday, August 4th, and Thursday August 25th. The theme is “Heroes of the Faith”. . You may enter the side entrance on Dayton Avenue. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Caring Ministry - Stuffed Animals
Please feel free to take one of the stuffed animals in the Narthex (back of church) to give to anyone who is sick or needs some
T.L.C.. They have been prayed over and tagged by the Prayer Shawl Ministry. Thank you!
Hymns, Worship Songs, Creeds, Prayers, a Sermon; a truly blended service. Communion will continue to be served on the first Sunday of each month. Kids will be dismissed for 'Kids Church' before the sermon.
Our combined service will also be livestreamed for those who are unable to attend in-person. Anyone can access this livestream, but if you'd like to chat with others throughout the service, you must have a Faithlife account and become of member of our Faithlife Group. If you aren't already a member of our group, and would like to become one, please email the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply with an invitation.
Here are all the links you'll need for the full Sunday Morning experience...
Join our Live Stream Service - https://www.faithlife.com/fumccollingswood/livestream
Access our Digital Bulletin - https://fumccollingswood.org/bulletins
Online Giving - https://fumccollingswood.org/giving
Verse of the Month
We praise God and thank Him for all the prayers that have been answered throughout this challenging time and also:
- For all God is doing, even in the smallest of details!
- For our freedom to worship together in person.
- For members of our church family who have recovered from surgeries, treatments and illnesses.
"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
"Prayers in the Parlor" is a time to gather and pray over the requests of our congregation and happens every Monday through Thursday, beginning at 9:00am. Feel free to come and join us!
Please continue to pray for...our homebound members; our church members who are in need of spiritual, emotional and financial care; any families and relationships that have been strained during this time, our Troops and our Missionaries. The list is long, but God is BIG!
Please pray for the following:
- Pastor Scott & Meg - for the Lord's guidance & direction in all matters and decisions.
- Pastor Jeremy & Rebecca as they begin serving at FUMC.
- The Zook Family as they transition into their new home and ministry.
- Linda Adam's sister Lois - Medical issues - recovery from surgery
- John Adeboye - needs room to rent in Collingswood
- Bob Alber- in hospital with sepsis and cellulitis - missionary
- The Berryhill's friend Melinda Johnson diagnosed with brain cancer
- Kathy & Phil Boswell - Health problems & medical concerns
- Dave Cahilly - health issues
- Mary Emily Cameron - recovering from a broken bone in her neck
- Connie Cline's longtime friend has cancer/is steps from eternity and needs to get into a relationship with God.
- Joyce Cluelow - Mom is sick with Covid
- The Cluelow's friend Liz for keeping the house & new job
- Shauna Coffey - ongoing medical tests and medical issues
- Jim Craig - broken collarbone and Parkinson complications
- Susan Dallegro - friend Jennifer sick on ventilator and her mother Maryann
- RuthAnne Detwiler - continued recovery from surgery
- The Edwards Family
- Harry Ellis - Blood Pressure
- Dotti Escuti's friend Peggy Imms & family - family is going through many serious issues
- Dick, Peggy and Janel Esher
- Maria Gianfrancesco - continued recovery from knee surgery
- Dave Hammond - for continued recovery
- Carol Harding - home from the hospital
- Karen Kline and family in the passing of her son Craig
- Brent MacGlaughlin - health issues
- Dick McCloy - permanent remission from 6 months of chemo treatments
- Mary Ann McCloy - shortness of breath and autoimmune condition Myasthenia Gravis which has caused eye lid drooping
- David & Katie McDevitt's son
- Gary and Kathy McGuarn - daughter Jenny DePaul - medical issues - upcoming surgery September 12th
- Kathy McGaurn - continued recovery from hip surgery
- Mike Molloy's mother making much progress
- Gus Mondatsos - second hip surgery July 7th
- Ella Patterson's brother - seizures
- Jaime Frost, daughter of Harry & Linda Rameriz - serious health issues
- Rameriz's - move to South Carolina
- Sherry Rappe - Medical tests
- Sherry Rappe - prayers for the Poljenka family in the loss of their mother - (Sherry Rappe's daughter's mother-in-law)
- Dave Schmid - Retired missionary
- Kay Shannon - recovering from foot surgery
- Joan Stecher's friends Denise Young and Danielle Catling
- Asher Walker - safe journey home from touring with the Philly Boys Choir in Puerto Rico 6/30-7/7.
- Our Missionaries
If you have any other prayer concerns or ways we can serve you please let us know. We desire to journey with you.
Remember, you are loved!
In His Grace,
The FUMC Staff