Traces of Grace
Thoughts from Pastor Scott
Greetings from Nashville, Tennessee, friends!
These last few days I’ve had the opportunity to attend the New Room Conference organized by Seedbed. It has been so encouraging and refreshing to my soul. Don’t be surprised if you read some reflections on my time here in the coming weeks.
Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend and I am excited to be in worship with you all on Sunday morning. I hope I’ll see you there as we continue our Digital Babylon series.
Grace & Peace,
Sermon Series - Digital Babylon
This week we continue our sermon series entitled, "Digital Babylon: Developing Resilient Faith in Exile." In this series we will be looking at what we can learn from Scripture about how to form followers of Jesus who are able to stand firm in the midst of a foreign culture that seeks to assimilate us into its worldview.
This series finds us in some familiar stories from the Old Testament and will use research from the Barna Group, which was presented in the book Faith For Exiles, to help us see the five formative influences resilient disciples experience. My hope is that this series of sermons will help us evaluate our own level of resilience in our faith and what God is asking us to give ourselves to for the sake of creating resilient faith in the generations following us.
Join Pastor Jeremy and Pastor Scott for this conversation based on the sermon "Intimacy with Jesus" as we talk about questions we have for God, how God uses lions and bears to prepare us, and the impact people have had on how we learned to follow Jesus.
You can listen and subscribe to the podcast on:
We would really love for you to be a part of this conversation, so email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We'll do our absolute best to answer those questions or, if we can't answer it, we'll at least have a conversation about it.
Missionaries Tim&Kathy Sheetz visiting
On Sunday, 9/25, our missionaries, Tim and Kathy Sheetz, will be sharing an update on their mission, Handi*Vangelism Ministries International. Tim grew up in our church and H*VMI was started while they lived nearby and attended FUMC regularly. Although they are officially past retirement age, they continue to serve as "ministry ambassadors" and are very active in all the outreach ministries to people with disabilities and their parents, along with other groups. Please welcome them between the services.
Habitat for Humanity Unity Build
Habitat for Humanity Unity Build - Local houses of worship are putting their faith into action and joining Habitat SCNJ & The First Presbyterian Church of Hamilton for a Unity Build on October 1st starting @ 9am. Together, volunteers will spend the day constructing the frames for a new home in Hightstown, one piece at a time. No skills necessary! Breakfast and lunch will be provided. 3550 Nottingham Way, Hamilton Square, NJ. Talk to Brian Coffey (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or mark your connect card to sign up.
Followers Bible Study
Bible Study is held on Tuesday mornings in the Parlor. You can arrive at 9:30 for coffee, tea, and fellowship. Study begins at 10:00. The first six week series, which will look at the book of Jude, will be led by Pastor Scott . We look forward to seeing you!
Kids Church in the Great Room
Kids from 1st-5th grades will be dismissed from the worship service prior to the sermon to participate in Kid's Church. This program will take place in the Great Room.
Moses @ Sight and Sound!!
The spectacular show "Moses" will be at Sight and Sound on Tuesday, May 10, 2023, in Lancaster, PA. The cost of the show and the meal at Shady Maple is $130.00. The bus has limited capacity and seats are being filled quickly. A deposit of $30.00 must be paid to hold your spot (cash or check). Please make checks out to Pat Gunning. If you have any questions, please contact Marva Wallace or Pat Gunning.
Operation Christmas Child
We know it's early, but it's time to think about Operation Christmas Child in conjunction with Samaritans Purse.
In the next 2 weeks, the boxes will be available at both doors and you can take them, fill them, return them, but please include the $10.00 handling charge - OR:
Like last year, you can use the envelope in the Sanctuary pew marked "Operation Christmas Child". Place $20.00 CASH in the envelope and place in offering plate or give to Pat Gunning. Pat will fill a box or boxes for you. The $20.00 includes the $10.00 handling fee.
Let's get moving on those boxes. Christmas isn't that far away! Thank you.
Our Traditional Sunday Morning Worship Service begins at 9am in our sanctuary. This service incorporates the great hymns of our faith, creeds, responsive readings, prayers, Scripture readings, and a sermon, among other things.
During the 9:00 hour, we also have Sunday school available for children, youth, and adults.
Our Contemporary Sunday Morning Worship Service begins at 10:30am in our sanctuary. This service incorporates new and old songs, most often led on guitar, as well as Scripture readings, prayers, and other worship elements. Nursery is available during the 10:30 service for children birth-Kindergarten and all children are welcome in the worship service. There is also an adult Sunday school class that meets in the parlor during the 10:30 time slot. Our 10:30 service will also be livestreamed for those who are unable to attend in-person. Anyone can access this livestream, but if you'd like to chat with others throughout the service, you must have a Faithlife account and become of member of our Faithlife Group. If you aren't already a member of our group, and would like to become one, please email the church office at email@example.com and we will reply with an invitation.
Here are all the links you'll need for the full Sunday Morning experience...
Join our Live Stream Service - https://www.faithlife.com/fumccollingswood/livestream
Access our Digital Bulletin - https://fumccollingswood.org/bulletins Online Giving - https://fumccollingswood.org/giving
All of our past morning worship services can be viewed on our website by visiting https://fumccollingswood.org.
You can also view the services on our YouTube Channel.
Verse of the Month
We praise God and thank Him for all the prayers that have been answered throughout this challenging time and also:
- For all God is doing, even in the smallest of details!
- For our freedom to worship together in person.
- For members of our church family who have recovered from surgeries, treatments and illnesses.
Young Adults Group - Sunday mornings
Our Young Adults group regularly meets upstairs between the youth rooms on Sunday mornings at 9am and on Monday nights at 7pm for study and fellowship. Please contact Pastor Jeremy if you would like to receive regular updates for our gatherings at firstname.lastname@example.org
College Students - Passion Conference
College Students attending Passion Conference- Please pray that God would prepare their hearts for what He has in store for them in January at the conference in Atlanta.
Lyfe Youth Group Retreat - Ocean City
We ask that the congregation be in prayer as we take 25 youth to a retreat in Ocean City this weekend. Not only for their safe return, but that God would continue to reveal Himself to them and draw them closer to Him. Our Sunday school meets at 9am each week and Youth group is from 6pm-8pm on Sunday Nights. NO Youth Group on 9/25. Please contact Pastor Jeremy if you would like to receive regular updates for our gatherings at email@example.com
Prayers in the Parlor now in the Library
Prayers in the Parlor is now being held in the Library (Great Room). This is a time to gather and pray over the requests of our congregation and happens every Monday at 8:30am and Tuesday through Thursday 9am.
"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
"Prayers in the Parlor" is now being held in the Library (Great Room). It is a time to gather and pray over the requests of our congregation and happens every Monday at 8:30am and Tuesday through Thursday, 9:00am. Feel free to come and join us!
We ask that the congregation be in prayer as we take 25 youth to a retreat in Ocean City this weekend. Not only for their safe return, but that God would continue to reveal Himself to them and draw them closer to Him.
Please continue to pray for...our homebound members; our church members who are in need of spiritual, emotional and financial care; any families and relationships that have been strained during this time, our Troops and our Missionaries. The list is long, but God is BIG!
Please pray for the following:
- Pastor Scott & Meg - for the Lord's guidance & direction in all matters and decisions.
- Pastor Jeremy & Rebecca as they begin serving at FUMC and adjust to their new reality together with their beautiful newborn son Theo.
- Linda Adam's - daughter-in-law's brother Ed - cancer
- Bob Alber- recovering from recent hospitalization and Barb Alber is recovering from recent surgery - missionary
- Karen Alexander (& family) - in the passing of her Mom, Carol
- The Berryhill's friend Melinda Johnson diagnosed with brain cancer
- Kathy & Phil Boswell (Phil - recovery from surgery) health problems & medical concerns
- Dave Cahilly - health issues
- Mary Emily Cameron - total hearing loss in 1 ear
- Connie Cline's longtime friend has cancer/is steps from eternity and needs to get into a relationship with God.
- The Cluelow's friend Liz for keeping the house & new job
- Coffey's family friend Daniel Bowler recovering from medical procedures
- Jim Craig - broken collarbone and Parkinson complications
- Susan Dallegro - friend Jennifer sick on ventilator and her mother Maryann
- The Edwards Family
- Maryilyn Ellis's friends Julie and Dorothy both have cancer
- Harry Ellis - Blood Pressure
- The Imm's Family, friends of Dotti Escuti
- Dick, Peggy and Janel Esher
- Charles Ferrara - in rehab
- Ken Franck's cousin Regina Gebka - ovarian cancer - recovery from surgery September 1st.
- Carol Harding - home from the hospital
- James Jungclaus (& family) in the passing of his wife Donna
- Klimczak's daughter Kim - hit by a car at high speed - suffered many injuries
- Karen Kline and family in the passing of her son Craig
- Dick McCloy - permanent remission from 6 months of chemo treatments
- Mary Ann McCloy - shortness of breath and autoimmune condition Myasthenia Gravis which has caused eye lid drooping
- David & Katie McDevitt's son
- Kathy McGuarn's - daughter Jenny DePaul's recovery from surgery September 12th
- Dawn Molloy's lifelong friend Ellen - hospitalized more than a month - needs prayers and encouragement for healing. Doctors need wisdom to find root cause of her medical issues.
- Gus Mondatsos - recovery from hip surgery
- Ella Patterson's brother - seizures
- Jaime Frost, daughter of Harry & Linda Rameriz - serious health issues
- Rameriz's - as they settle into their new home in SC
- Kay Shannon's husband's cousin Lynne - in the hospital with cancer and pneumonia
- Joan Stecher's friends Denise Young and Danielle Catling
- Michael Zee
- Our Missionaries
- College Students attending Passion Conference - God would prepare their hearts for what He has in store for them in January at the conference in Atlanta
Remember, you are loved!
In His Grace,
The FUMC Staff