Great Basin Reformed Presbyterian Church
9725 S Virginia St
Reno, NV 89511
Rev. Colin Samul Elder Paul Hemphill
We welcome you in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
We hope you will be encouraged and edified, having heard Biblical
truth in love.
Great Basin RP is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of
North America, one of the oldest denominations in the United States.
We are committed to the doctrines of Scripture and the formation of
loving community as a necessary fruit of the Gospel.
In light of the above, we believe that the most comprehensive and accurate summary of biblical teaching is found in the Westminster Confession of Faith, together with the Westminster Larger and
Shorter Catechisms. These documents were completed in 1647 as a summary of Christian belief and practice, with the desired intention of helping Christ’s church become unified in doctrine, government, and worship (John 17:11). In addition to the Westminster Standards, we also maintain the Testimony of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of
North America, which is our denomination’s own continuing and contemporary application of the Word of God to our current culture and context.
Set Up Schedule:
09/05 – Eric Churchill & Miles Brazil
09/12 – Paul Adamson, Eric Churchill
09/19 - Owen Goggiano, Steve Pilcher
09/26 – Eric Maupin, Greg Kothman
09/05 – Kobi & Sierra Kothman
09/12 - Ashley Maupin & Ynez Goggiano
09/19 – Sandi Churchill & Mele Samul
09/26 - Shanna & Mele Samul
Giving for the Month of August - $3939 (Goal - $4250)
Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the Lord our maker.
Great Basin Reformed Presbyterian Church
Today’s Schedule – September 12th, 2021
Catechism ...............................................................................2:30 PM
Evening Worship..................................................................4:30 PM
Psalm of the Month – Psalm 104D
ORDER OF WORSHIP
*Call to Worship/Greeting Psalm 147:12-20
*Praise Psalm 147B
N. Tune: Ellacombe (1a)
*Prayer of Invocation
Reading of the Law Ephesians 4:25-34
Prayer of Confession
*Praise Psalm 27B
Scripture Reading Genesis 48
*Praise Psalm 127A
Tune: Amazing Grace
Prayer of Intercession
Scripture Reading Mark 10:13-16
Psalm of Preparation Psalm 46C
Prayer of Illumination
Sermon - “Children in the Arms of Christ”
*Psalm of Praise Psalm 145A
Tune: Old Hundredth (100a)
*Tithes/Offerings to GBRPC can be placed in the donation box on the
back welcome table
Children in the Arms of Christ (Mark 10:13-16)
Lesson: Encourage the faith of children. Jesus teaches that children are important and capable of saving faith.
I. Encourage Children to Pray (vv. 13-14a)
II. Encourage Children to Believe (vv. 14b-15)
III. Encourage Children to Trust (v. 16)
· Pray for our Elder Elect Greg Kothman
· Pray for Eric and Sandi’s son, Ryan, who is incarcerated.
· Pray for Sandi’s coworker Shawn. His wife Pam has passed on and is with the Lord.
· Pray for Sandi’s Aunt Jackie who has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.
· Pray for Eric’s mother Marlene, who fell and broke her leg and shoulder.
· Pray for the Garrisons and Declan, who was born, but has needed surgeries. He recently had kidney surgery, please pray for a full recovery.
· Pray for Andrew that he gets a better shift with his job so that he can worship with us each Lord’s Day.
· Pray for Allison’s grandparents, that their medical and living needs would be met.
· Pray for wisdom for the Kothmans in dealing with parental health needs.
· Pray for Kobi’s friend Kim who had surgery for breast cancer.
· Pray for RP Church Planters and for Rev. Hemphill as he is beginning to church plant in Boise, ID.
· Pray for Ashley’s former roommate Jess, who has chronic COVID issues.
· Pray for Eric Maupin who is having ongoing COVID issues
· Pray for Pastor’s Family friend, Mark, who has Kidney Cancer
· Pray for Randy who is a missionary in the Middle East
· Pray for Owen’s coworker Tim who has pancreatic cancer and is not a believer.
· Pray for Owen’s niece, Carter, who was diagnosed with neutropenia.
· Pray for Deacon Eric Mulder at the Edmonton, CA Congregation, who was just diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor.
· Pray for Vanessa a daughter of the San Diego Church who struggles with mental illness
This Week’s Congregational Prayers
Prayer for our Nation
· Pray that our leaders would come to know Christ and submit to him
· Pray for repentance and revival in our land
Prayer for our Church
· Pray for our covenant children
· Pray for future office bearers
Prayer for our Presbytery
· Pray for our Church in Brea and Rev. John Sawtelle
Prayer for our Denomination
· Pray for our Seminary Students and Faculty
· Pray for our open pulpits
Prayer for Missions/Fraternal Denoms
· Pray for our Mission in Sudan
· Pray for persecuted brethren
This Week’s Doctrinal Meditation
I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.
Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the living and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.
And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.
Amen. – The Nicene Creed, 381
From the Pastor’s Study
“The same Christ who sept at the tomb of Lazarus weeps with us in our lonely despair. The same one who reached out and touched lepers puts his arm around us today when we feel misunderstood and sidelined. The Jesus who reached out and cleansed messy sinners reaches into our souls and answers our half-hearted plea for mercy with the mighty invincible cleansing of one who cannot bear to do otherwise.
In other words, Christ’s heart is not far off despite his presence now in heaven, for he does all this by his own Spirit. We will give focused attention to the relationship between Christ’s heart and the Holy Spirit in chapter 13. For now we simply not that through the Spirit, Christ himself not only touches us but lives within us. The New Testament teaches that we are united to Christ, a union so intimate that whatever our own body parts do, Christ’s body can be said to do (1 Cor. 6:15-16). Jesus Christ is closer to your today than he was to the sinners and sufferers he spoke with and touched in his earthly ministry. Through the Spirit, Christ’s own heart envelops his people with an embrace nearer and tighter than any physical embrace could ever achieve. His actions on earth in a body reflected his heart; the same heart now acts in the same ways toward us, for we are now his body. – Gentle and Lowly, Dane Ortlund
This Month at GBRPC
Today (09/12) – If you are a regular visitor please reach out to Rev. Samul about the Faithlife App for giving and Church communication. We welcome Licentiate Jerry Foltz to our Pulpit today while Rev. Samul is away.
Weds. (09/15) – Catechumens is on break for the summer. We will reconvene in September, and pick up on question 23 of the Shorter Catechism. In addition, the group will study through Richard Pratt’s book “Every Thought Captive.” All covenant children 5th grade and older are encouraged to attend.
Thursday (09/16) – The Ladies Bible study is postponed until September 2nd. The new study will be on Nancy Guthrie’s book on Genesis (reach out to Sandi Churchill for details). The Churchill’s address is 4711 Paso Robles Ct, Sparks, NV
Sat. (09/18) – The Men’s Study will reconvene and be held at Pastor Samul’s home (6909 Brahms Drive, Sun Valley, NV 89433). The study will be on the book of Hebrews using “Let’s Study Hebrews” by Hywel Jones.
Weds. (09/22) – The prayer meeting will be held at the Brazil’s home at 6PM. Their address is: 4670 Rio Encantado Ln, Reno NV 89502
Sat. (09/25) – We will be having a BBQ with Mt. Rose OPC at the Lazy 5 park. If you are interested in helping to organize, please reach out to Rev. Samul or Mr. Kothman.
Fri. (10/01) – Mr. Greg Kothman’s ordination service will be held at 6PM followed by refreshments in the white house. Rev. Samul will be officiating, Rev. Ryan Hemphill (Treasure Valley, ID) will preach the sermon, and Elder Paul Hemphill (Fresno, CA) will give the charges to Greg and the Congregation. We may need help hosting our guests from out of town.
Significant Dates in the Congregation
Fania Adamson 9/01
Eric Maupin 9/02
Lilyanna Samul 9/24/2015
Sandi Churchill 9/29