Great Basin Reformed Presbyterian Church
9725 S Virginia St
Reno, NV 89511
Rev. Colin Samul Elder Paul Hemphill
We welcome you in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
We hope you will be encouraged and edified, having heard Biblical
truth in love.
Great Basin RP is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of
North America, one of the oldest denominations in the United States.
We are committed to the doctrines of Scripture and the formation of
loving community as a necessary fruit of the Gospel.
In light of the above, we believe that the most comprehensive and accurate summary of biblical teaching is found in the Westminster Confession of Faith, together with the Westminster Larger and
Shorter Catechisms. These documents were completed in 1647 as a summary of Christian belief and practice, with the desired intention of helping Christ’s church become unified in doctrine, government, and worship (John 17:11). In addition to the Westminster Standards, we also maintain the Testimony of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of
North America, which is our denomination’s own continuing and contemporary application of the Word of God to our current culture and context.
Set Up Schedule:
09/05 – Eric Churchill & Miles Brazil
09/12 – Paul Adamson, Eric Churchill
09/19 - Owen Goggiano, Steve Pilcher
09/26 – Eric Maupin, Greg Kothman
09/05 – Kobi & Sierra Kothman
09/12 - Ashley Maupin & Ynez Goggiano
09/19 – Sandi Churchill & Mele Samul
09/26 - Shanna & Mele Samul
Giving for the Month of September - $2935 (Goal - $4250)
Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the Lord our maker.
Great Basin Reformed Presbyterian Church
Today’s Schedule – September 26th, 2021
Catechism ...............................................................................2:30 PM
Evening Worship..................................................................4:30 PM
Psalm of the Month – Psalm 104D
ORDER OF WORSHIP
*Call to Worship/Greeting Psalm 104:24-40
*Praise Psalm 104D
*Prayer of Invocation
Reading of the Law James 3:17-4:6
Prayer of Confession
*Praise Psalm 111D
Scripture Reading Luke 24:33-53
*Praise Psalm 16D
Prayer of Intercession
Scripture Reading Isaiah 31-32
Psalm of Preparation Psalm 2B
Prayer of Illumination
Sermon - “Renewal through God’s King and God’s Spirit”
*Psalm of Praise Psalm 90B
*Tithes/Offerings to GBRPC can be placed in the donation box on the
back welcome table
Renewal through God’s King and Spirit (Isaiah 31-32)
Lesson: God renews His people by reestablishing His rule over them; therefore we must submit to God’s King and God’s Spirit.
God reestablishes His rule through His King (32:1-8)
Application: We are to submit to Christ as King and seek conformity to Christ through His law.
God reestablishes His rule through His Spirit (32:9-20)
Application: We are to engage with the means of grace and strive with the Spirit in a life of obedience.
· Pray for our Elder Elect Greg Kothman
· Pray for Eric and Sandi’s son, Ryan, who is incarcerated.
· Pray for Sandi’s coworker Shawn. His wife Pam has passed on and is with the Lord.
· Pray for Sandi’s Aunt Jackie who has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.
· Pray for Eric’s mother Marlene, who fell and broke her leg and shoulder.
· Pray for the Garrisons and Declan, who was born, but has needed surgeries. He recently had kidney surgery, please pray for a full recovery.
· Pray for Andrew that he gets a better shift with his job so that he can worship with us each Lord’s Day.
· Pray for Allison’s grandparents, that their medical and living needs would be met.
· Pray for wisdom for the Kothmans in dealing with parental health needs.
· Pray for Kobi’s friend Kim who had surgery for breast cancer.
· Pray for RP Church Planters and for Rev. Hemphill as he is beginning to church plant in Boise, ID.
· Pray for Ashley’s former roommate Jess, who has chronic COVID issues.
· Pray for Eric Maupin who is having ongoing COVID issues
· Pray for Pastor’s Family friend, Mark, who has Kidney Cancer
· Pray for Randy who is a missionary in the Middle East
· Pray for Owen’s coworker Tim who has pancreatic cancer and is not a believer.
· Pray for Owen’s niece, Carter, who was diagnosed with neutropenia.
· Pray for Deacon Eric Mulder at the Edmonton, CA Congregation, who was just diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor.
· Pray for Vanessa a daughter of the San Diego Church who struggles with mental illness
· Pray for Fania Adamson’s parents as they struggle through COVID.
· Pray for Dr. Ray Boeche as he continues to go through Chemo for his cancer treatment, and as he undergoes an MRI to check for neurological issues (ALS, MS, Parkinsons)
This Week’s Congregational Prayers
Prayer for our Nation
· Pray that our leaders would come to know Christ and submit to him
· Pray for revival and reformation
Prayer for our Church
· Pray for our covenant children
· Pray for Elder Elect Greg Kothman
Prayer for our Presbytery
· Pray for our Church in San Diego, CA as they look for a Pastor
Prayer for our Denomination
· Pray for Fulton, NY RPC as they prepare for the retirement of Pastor Nick Iamiou
· Pray for Columbus, Indiana RPC’s upcoming retreat
Prayer for Missions/Fraternal Denoms
· Pray for our Mission in South Sudan
· Pray for persecuted brethren
This Week’s Doctrinal Meditation
I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.
Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the living and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.
And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.
Amen. – Nicene-Constantinople Creed, 381 AD
From the Pastor’s Study
I frankly confess that, for myself, even if it could be, I should not want "free-will" to be given me, nor anything to be left in my own hands to enable me to endeavour after salvation; not merely because in face of so many dangers, and adversities and assaults of devils, I could not stand my ground ; but because even were there no dangers. I should still be forced to labour with no guarantee of success.¦ But now that God has taken my salvation out of the control of my own will, and put it under the control of His, and promised to save me, not according to my working or running, but according to His own grace and mercy, I have the comfortable certainty that He is faithful and will not lie to me, and that He is also great and powerful, so that no devils or opposition can break Him or pluck me from Him. Furthermore, I have the comfortable certainty that I please God, not by reason of the merit of my works, but by reason of His merciful favour promised to me; so that, if I work too little, or badly, He does not impute it to me, but with fatherly compassion pardons me and makes me better. This is the glorying of all the saints in their God." - Martin Luther, The Bondage of the Will (Grand Rapids: Revell, 1957), 313-314.
This Month at GBRPC
Today (09/26) – If you are a regular visitor please reach out to Rev. Samul about the Faithlife App for giving and Church communication.
Thursday (09/30) – The ladies Bible study is going through Nancy Guthrie’s book on Genesis (reach out to Sandi Churchill for details). The Churchill’s address is 4711 Paso Robles Ct, Sparks, NV
Weds. (09/29) – Catechumens will meet on Faithlife and study Chapter 2 and 24 of Williamson, and chapter 1 of the Richard Pratt book.
Fri. (10/01) – Mr. Greg Kothman’s ordination service will be held at 6PM followed by refreshments in the white house. Rev. Samul will be officiating, Rev. Ryan Hemphill (Treasure Valley, ID) will preach the sermon, and Elder Paul Hemphill (Fresno, CA) will give the charges to Greg and the Congregation. We may need help hosting our guests from out of town. The Edit is as follows:
Greg Kothman, having been chosen to the office of ruling elder by this congregation, and
having been examined by Session and judged qualified to take the office, notice is hereby given
that October 1, 2021 at 6:30 pm has been set as the date and time for his ordination and
installation, with certification that the Session will proceed in the same manner, unless some
valid objection is presented in writing to the Session prior to the date of ordination and
installation. In order to proceed with the ordination and installation service, a quorum of one-
half of the active resident communicant membership is required. Given this 17th day of
September in the year 2021, by order of the Session.
Sat. (10/02) – The Men’s Study will be held at Pastor Samul’s home (6909 Brahms Drive, Sun Valley, NV 89433). The study will be on the book of Hebrews using “Let’s Study Hebrews” by Hywel Jones. We are studying chapters 2 and 3.
Sun. (10/03) — We will welcome the Adamsons into membership with the baptism of their covenant children.
Weds. (10/06) – The prayer meeting will be held at the Brazil’s home at 6PM. Their address is: 4670 Rio Encantado Ln, Reno NV 89502
Sun. (10/10) — Rev. Samul will be out of town and Mr. Seni Adeyemi will be filling the pulpit. If you are able to host please reach out to Mr. Greg Kothman.
Significant Dates in the Congregation
Fania Adamson 9/01
Eric Maupin 9/02
Lilyanna Samul 9/24/2015
Sandi Churchill 9/29