Great Basin Reformed Presbyterian Church
9725 S Virginia St
Reno, NV 89511
Rev. Colin Samul Elder Greg Kothman
We welcome you in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
We hope you will be encouraged and edified, having heard Biblical
truth in love.
Great Basin RP is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of
North America, one of the oldest denominations in the United States.
We are committed to the doctrines of Scripture and the formation of
loving community as a necessary fruit of the Gospel.
In light of the above, we believe that the most comprehensive and accurate summary of biblical teaching is found in the Westminster Confession of Faith, together with the Westminster Larger and
Shorter Catechisms. These documents were completed in 1647 as a summary of Christian belief and practice, with the desired intention of helping Christ’s church become unified in doctrine, government, and worship (John 17:11). In addition to the Westminster Standards, we also maintain the Testimony of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of
North America, which is our denomination’s own continuing and contemporary application of the Word of God to our current culture and context.
Set Up Schedule:
04/03 – Paul Adamson, Eric Churchill
04/10 - Owen Goggiano, Steve Pilcher
04/17 – Eric Maupin, Greg Kothman
04/24 – Eric Churchill & Miles Brazil
04/03 - Jordyn Brazil & Mele Samul
04/10 – Sandi Churchill & Evangeline Samul
04/17 - Kobi Kothman & Nate Kothman
04/24– Kelsey Pilcher & Sierra Kothman
Giving for the Month of March - $5536 (Goal - $5500)
Diaconal Fund - $104 (March - $45)
Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the Lord our maker.
Great Basin Reformed Presbyterian Church
Today’s Schedule – April 3rd, 2022
Catechism ...............................................................................2:30 PM
Evening Worship..................................................................4:30 PM
Psalm of the Month – Psalm 82A
ORDER OF WORSHIP
*Call to Worship/Greeting Psalm 19:1-6
*Praise Psalm 19A
*Prayer of Invocation
Reading of the Law Matthew 5:1-20
Prayer of Confession
*Praise Psalm 40A
Scripture Reading Acts 13:1-41
Elder Greg Kothman
*Praise Psalm 2B
Prayer of Intercession
Scripture Reading Isaiah 42:1-9
Psalm of Preparation Psalm 45B
Prayer of Illumination
Sermon - “Creation, Covenant, and Glory”
*Psalm of Praise Psalm 22E
*Tithes/Offerings to GBRPC can be placed in the donation box on the
back welcome table
Creation, Covenant, and Glory (Isaiah 42:5-9)
Theme: Jesus is the Fulfillment of all of God’s Purposes; therefore our purpose, our redemption, and our future glorification are all bound up in Him.
Jesus is the fulfillment of God’s Purposes in Creation (Vs 5)
The Purpose of Creation
Creation and the Temple
Creation as a work of the Triune God
““The creation thus proceeds from the Father, through the Son, in
the Spirit; in order that, in the Spirit, and through the Son, it may return to the Father.” – Herman Bavinck
Application: Jesus restores us to our purpose in creation; therefore we should feel at home in creation, and live a life of worship.
Jesus is the fulfillment of God’s Covenant (Vs 5-6)
The Messiah as God’s Covenant Partner
The Messiah and the Covenant of Redemption
““The persons transacting and dealing with each other in this
covenant [...] are [...] God the Father, and God the Son; the former as a Creditor, and the latter as a Surety. The Father stands upon satisfaction, the Son engages to give it.” - John Flavel
The Father’s Promise to Uphold the Son (Vs 5)
The Son’s Work of Undoing the Curse (Vs 5-6)
Application: In Christ we have freedom from the curse, even if we don’t always experience it.
Jesus is the fulfillment of History (Vs 7-8)
The Name of God and the Faithfulness of God
The Glory of God and the Challenge of Idolatry
Application: God will be glorified in His Messiah; therefore our
redemption is certain
· Pray for Sandi’s Aunt Jackie who has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.
· Pray for Tobi Hackett, Chloe and Stephanie, and Danica Churchill as they work through the situation in Edmonton
· Pray for Andrew that he gets a better shift with his job so that he can worship with us each Lord’s Day.
· Pray for Allison’s grandparents, that their medical and living needs would be met.
· Pray for Allison’s friends Michelle and Mike whose son Jack needed intensive reconstructive surgery on His head. His surgery was rescheduled and was successful.
· Pray for wisdom for the Kothmans in dealing with parental health needs.
· Pray for Kobi’s friend Kim who had surgery for breast cancer.
· Pray for RP Church Planters and for Rev. Hemphill as he is beginning to church plant in Boise, ID.
· Continue to Pray and give thanks for Eric Maupin who has experienced some relief from long COVID symptoms
· Pray for Pastor’s Family friend, Mark, who has Kidney Cancer
· Pray for Randy who is a missionary in the Middle East
· Pray for Deacon Eric Mulder at the Edmonton, CA Congregation who has completed treatment and has his first post treatment MRI in April.
· Please pray for Rev. Jon Maginn with pain and sleep issues.
· Pray that Piper Macaluso would sleep through the night and give her mom some much needed rest!
· Pray for Tyler Macaluso’s father, Tony, who is carrying the weight of issues within his family.
· Pray for the Churchill’s Niece/Cousin Natalie
· Pray for Shanna’s Back and for the success of her treatments
· Pray for Pastor’s Uncle Tim who had a heart attack.
· Pray for Rev. Patrick McNeely’s wife Jaclyn who was recently diagnosed with a genetic condition known to produce cancer.
· Pray for Sandi’s Coworker Pam who was recently diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor.
This Week’s Congregational Prayers
Prayer for our Nation
· Pray that our leaders would come to know Christ and submit to him
· Pray for revival and reformation in our churches
Prayer for our Church
· Pray for our spiritual and numerical growth
Prayer for our Presbytery
· Pray for our Church in Boise, ID and Rev. Ryan Hemphill
Prayer for our Denomination
· Pray for RPTS and Geneva College
· Pray for the graduates of RPTS, that they would be placed into pulpits.
Prayer for Local Churches
· Pray for Mt Rose OPC and Rev. Scott Johnson
Prayer for Missions/Fraternal Denoms
· Pray for the RP in Pakistan
· Pray for persecuted brethren
This Week’s Confessional Meditation
1. We reject the teaching that Adam was not a covenant head and representative of all his descendants. We reject the view that Adam’s headship involves any injustice.
2. By this principle of covenant head- ship the guilt and penalty of sin come upon all men by Adam’s one sin; and by the obedience of Christ, the second covenant head, righteousness and life come upon all men who believe. Rom. 5:12-21.
3. The Covenant of Works has not been revoked. All men remain under its requirement of perfect obedience and will have to give account ac- cording to it at the last judgment. In the Covenant of Grace Jesus Christ has fulfilled the requirements of the Covenant of Works for His people. By His death Christ secured the delay of the full penalty of death for sin (the second death, Rev. 20:14-15) for all men. They therefore may enjoy the creation and have some fruitful toil in it for God’s glory, even though they be rebellious against Him. This is usually called common grace.
Heb. 12:14; 2 Cor. 5:10, 21; Col. 1:16-20; 1 Cor. 8:6; Gen. 4:20-24; Ps. 76:10.
4. We reject the concept that God ex- tends grace to any man apart from the atoning work of Christ.
Isa. 45:1-4 with Rom. 3:21-26; Acts 17:30-31.
This Month at GBRPC
Today (04/03) – We welcome you as you join with our us in worship of the Triune God! If you are a regular visitor please reach out to Rev. Samul about the Faithlife App for giving and Church communication.
Weds. (04/06) – We will be having our prayer meeting at the Brazil residence at 6PM.
Sun. (04/10) – We will be partaking in the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. We encourage all members and adherents to prepare and partake. Visitors are asked to speak with Elder Kothman or Rev. Samul before partaking.
Weds. (04/13) – The New Members Class will be held at the Macaluso’s residence at 6:30PM. The assigned reading this week is chapters 11-12
Significant Dates in the Congregation
Joshua Goggiano – 04/16/18
Ashley Maupin – 04/25
Abigail Kothman – 04/29
Braydon Pilcher – 04/30/17