About this group
The Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd worships each Sunday at 8am and 10:30am. Our vision is KNOW Jesus, GROW as his followers, and GO out as missionaries into the world.
- The story of the man reluctant to follow Jesus reminds me it is not easy to follow Jesus. It requires discipline. We want the reward of following Jesus without the cost. But Jesus will remind us that we must take up our cross. Following Jesus means daily seeking his instruction in the Word. It means doing things I am uncomfortable doing and setting aside my ambitions for God's ambitions.
- Jeremiah 9:23-24 - Let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord! There is nothing greater than knowing the Lord. We can boast about many things. But pride is a dangerous thing. The calling of a believer is towards humility. Our humility is that our reason for boasting does not come from us. It is about who we know. It is Jesus.
- — EditedRomans 5:3 tells us that suffering produces endurance. Because of that, Paul says we rejoice in suffering. It is hard to rejoice in suffering. No one wants to suffer. Yet, Christ calls us to a life of sacrifice. Our calling is to the way of the cross. In our weakness we receive his strength.
- The Worrd of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily. Acts 19:20 --- God's plans will not be thwarted. His Word does not return void. Where the Word of God is rightly proclaimed, There is increase. There is abundance. God's kingdom comes. God wants to prevail in your life. It starts with the Word.
- I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other nor my praise to carved idols. Isaiah 42:8. We are called to live for the glory of God. We pray in the Lord's Prayer - "Hallowed be your name." It is in our weakness that Christ is shown to be strong. How is God glorified in your life today?
- Yesterday's reading closed with the church praying EARNESTLY to God. Then in today's reading we see Peter miraculously freed from prison. I find that word "earnestly" to be important. What does it mean to pray earnestly? Do we pray earnestly? To pray earnestly is about praying intensely. It is about praying focused. It is pray for great duration. It is praying while fasting. It is about making time to pray rather than simply praying when we have the time. It is that prayer is a priority. It is about prayer being first, the middle, and the last.
- The meek shall obtain fresh joy in the Lord, and the poor among mankind shall exult in the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 29:19. This verse reminded me of the sermon on the mount where Jesus says blessed are the poor in spirit and blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. There is joy that is found in humility. The opposite of humility is pride. At the heart of every sin is pride. With pride we put ourselves before God leading us down at path outside of God's path. But when we humble ourselves to submit to God's plan and God's way, we discover a joy that those apart from God will never know.