New Covenant Notes
What's in the Notes This Week?
- TENEBRAE SERVICE ...This Friday, 7 pm
- EASTER SUNRISE SERVICE ... This Sunday, 6:53 am
- SUNDAY MORNING WORSHIP ... Sermon info, worship songs, Celebration of the Lord's Supper, & texting to give online
- NO SUNDAY SCHOOL CLASSES THIS SUNDAY
- YOUTH GROUP ... Weekly Ministry plus other ministry info
- SPRING COMMUNITY GROUPS
- INTER-CHURCH FIRST SATURDAY SPORTS DAY FOR YOUTH & ADULTS ... Note change of date for April
- WAYS TO FOLLOW US ... Did you know we are on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram? LINKS BELOW.
- INFO FOR A "RAINY" DAY ... Prayer needs, mercy ministry needs, & general questions
THIS Friday, April 2nd, 7:00 pm
In-person & Live-streamed
Tenebrae, from the Latin word for "shadows," has been observed in the church of Jesus Christ since the fourth century, on Maundy Thursday or Good Friday. During the service, different readers will recall the events that led Jesus to the cross, and we will extinguish eight candles one by one, dramatizing the suffering and death of Jesus. The diminishing light symbolizes fading devotion of the disciples and the sin of the world. At the end of the service the sanctuary will be substantially dark. There will be no benediction. Please leave silently, contemplating Christ's crucifixion. Jesus, the Son of God, was dead.
The purpose of the service is to recreate the betrayal, abandonment, and agony of the events, and it is left unfinished, because the story isn't over until Easter Day.
9:30 AM SUNDAY
INSIDE, IN PERSON, & LIVE STREAMED
Pastor Jeff Elliott is preaching this Sunday from Psalm 22:22-31 (Where Should Easter Take Us?).
Worship Songs for this Sunday
- Christ Is Risen, He Is Risen Indeed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnG2xzzEaU)
- Christ Is Risen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExdrZGQVeI)
- It Is Finished (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7PRfnXDihQ)
- Thine Be the Glory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtjYgo0ydY)
- O Come, All You Unfaithful (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-QHbpYjuIg)
- Christ the Lord Is Risen Today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzy7jFNUc3w)
The worship service is kept on the website or you can go to YouTube and search for New Covenant Presbyterian Church of VAB, so you can get it any time of the day or night, re-listen to it, or share it with others.
THE LORD'S SUPPER
Please prepare your hearts so that you may participate at His table in a worthy manner.
Please note that when we celebrate the Lord’s Supper, we also invite you to give to the Deacons’ Fund to assist those who have financial needs within and outside of our church body.
Spring Community Groups
They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer. ~ Acts 2:42
Why Community Groups?
At New Covenant we believe God has called the church to be His family and that living the Christian life is not merely an individual exercise, but is done as a community. Toward that end we offer Community Groups ,which are places where members meet weekly to grow in knowing the Lord through His Word, share their lives, pray and care for one another. In those contexts we develop the depth of friendships that cause God to call us “family.”
If you really want to feel like you are part of the family at New Covenant, we urge you to seek out a group to join. The church leaders and group leaders are glad to help guide you to a group that fits your needs.
Below are the names of each Community Group along with the contact information for the leader. Note that some groups are in person and some by Zoom. Most of our groups are discussing the previous Sunday sermon.
Kemp Woods Community Group (Virtual)
- Leader: Rich Papworth
- Tuesdays, 7 p.m.
- Location: In Your Home by Zoom
- Contact: email@example.com (contact for Zoom link)
Arrowhead Community Group (In-person)
- Leader: Andy Rowan
- Wednesdays, 6:15 p.m. (studying Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering by Tim Keller)
- Location: 5404 Coventry Cir, VB 23462
- Contact: anderson.rowan7@gmail....
Larkspur Community Group (Virtual in March)
- Leader: Kevin Berlin
- Wednesdays, 7 p.m.
- Location: 632 Sam Snead Ln, VB 23462
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kempsville Community Group (In-person)
- Leader: Paul Wrigley
- Wednesdays, 7 p.m.
- Location: 5229 Dundee Ln, VB 23464
- Contact: email@example.com
Family Community Group (Virtual)
- Leader: Jeff Brauch
- Thursdays, 6:30 p.m.
- Location: In Your Home by Zoom
- Contact: jeffrey.a.brauch@gmail... (contact for Zoom link)
Great Bridge Community Group (In-person)
- Leader: Tim Dryden
- Sunday evenings, 6 p.m.
- Location: 229 Sierra Dr, Chesapeake 23322
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oak Grove Community Group (In-person)
- Leader: Josh Escamilla
- Sunday evenings, 7 p.m.
- Location: 200 Oak Grove Run, Chesapeake 23320
Three New Ways to Follow Us:
(Click on any of the social medias above and you will get to our sites.)
INFO FOR A "RAINY DAY" ...
**Material Needs?: Email email@example.com and our deacons will respond. We want to be available to assist our members!
**Questions?: Contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-467-5945, x-300). Be sure to leave a voicemail message if phoning the church secretary and she is not available.