Book Reading • 60 members • 484 followers
About this group
Get the book here: http://lgs.to/1MILlDH
- Welcome to the new folks who joined or started following! If you have any questions or comments, I’d love to hear them! Also, did you know that there is free small group material for Radically Normal? You can find it at http://www.joshkelley.ink/start-here.htmlStart HereAre you looking for small group material? I wrote Radically Normal with small groups in mind. It’s been used by several churches and I’ve heard many reports of people enjoying the study and being...www.joshkelley.ink
- One of my favorite parts of being an author is interacting with readers. If you have any comments or questions, this is the place. I look forward to hearing from you!
- I recently saw this near my home. If you could what would you say to the person who wrote it?
- First I would say "Amen, yes to God be the glory." I would then ask if the person thought that in writing it if there was indeed glory, praise and honor given to God. That conversation could go wherever it leads after that. I might also attempt to find my way to 1 Thessalonians 4 as an appeal to the way we live our lives garnering respect of those around us. Perhaps I would also ask that person if they thought that a person who isn't a believer would be compelled to consider it having seen this.
- Although I agree with the post above. I think I might as dies the destruction of someone's property honor God? Or edifying the the body of Christ.
- In the new testament we are told to respect the government. Defacing property is a crime. If it's his property then so be it. But we are not called to commit crimes to share the truth
- Thank you for the invite. Just started reading. Actually reading a lot of books right now. However, I look forward to reading this one as well.
- Just want to write a brief note of appreciation for this book. I particularly appreciated the mess kit analogy, though there was much else that spoke to me powerfully. Thanks!
- Coming up within the week. I'm occupied with "much serving" at my work right now, but I will sit down and share a few more of my reactions to "Radically Normal" very soon.
- Josh: I remember an old cartoon in which characters find themselves in a room where the furniture–for reasons I don’t remember–has been nailed to the ceiling. These characters try repeatedly to jump back to the floor to resume what they mistakenly assume is their “normal” place in the room, but of course they fail because their perception is not based on reality. The main value–and it is a great one–of “Radically Normal” is your examination of the destructively false expectations that many of us have had about our Christian lives, coupled with the liberating conclusion that the lives we ALREADY HAVE (as husband, wife, parent, employee, etc.) are where God wants to meet us and give us his grace. This is not anything new, but what makes your book really special are the many analogies and illustrations--mostly drawn from your own experience--that are used with great effectiveness (e.g., the mess kit analogy I mentioned earlier). "Radically Normal" is a very encouraging read for sincere but exhausted Christians whose countless attempts to attain to “The Higher Life” have been meet with constant failure. So thanks again!
- You nailed my goal exactly! I loved how you said that, "countless attempts to attain to “The Higher Life”." No more in-crowd and out-crowd, just the "in need of grace"-crowd!
- Thank you, Pastor Kelley, for writing this book and sharing your unique story. I was further inspired when you remind us in Chapter 7 “that God is also working a unique story in everyone else.”
- In todays World we find out that a many of a Church wants; A pastor with a Dr. degree. A Worship leader and perfection to such a degree no one except said pastor can fill. Yes it does say study to show thy self approved. But a many a Bible Colleges use this to mean get your Dr. degree. I say get back to the Basics! One basic is LOVE One ANOTHER! Get out of Name it claim it! The Bible does teach long suffering! Many will say to another Christian oh look God really blessed so and so, Really? God is still God weather or not one has MONEY! The song from the rock group "Genesis"," Oh Jesus, he knows me," says it all. Note Apologetics without LOVE , is dead Apologetics. Note Theology , without LOve is dead. Hermeneutics with out LOve is dead. In Germany one can go to school for Free! Bible College should be FREE, why? More would be able to afford life's ups and downs and more could serve the Church. With out a price tag on what one has to pay! There is a lot in Church that has to be cleaned up and to get back to basics! But without LOVE Church is DEAD. We are all dirt! Just a many "THINKS" , I have the solution. Again a many a solution is DEAD without LOVE! Jesus said, "LOve one Another", so start with love!
- We must Love our self and then see how God sees us. All this is possible with HIS love! No Church has invited me to Preach , yet due to No said Paper on the Wall. Back to the Book Basically this author hits the hammer to the Nail. I find it easy to read and his use of said situations is done out of LOVE. I have just started reading this book , and find out it hits home. Thank you for inviting me to this group means a lot to me.
- Thanks Freddie!
- Thanks for the invitation to the group. I picked up the book for free last year. Now I'm wondering whether I'm not too crazy to be in the target group :-) - Who in their right mind would serve in Cambodia for 4+ years :-) Anyway, I get the idea where the book is leading. Remember 1 Corinthians 12! We could not serve here without you radically normals in Europe and the US.
- I don't mind getting emails but I got 9 Faithlife emails on 9/25/2015 i minute apart and another one today. All about the same subject I think that is just a little to much and very ridiculous to say the least.
- Donald, I've adjusted your notification settings for this group to only email you daily.
- Hi Jan! Sorry for the delay - busy weekend. Yes, 1 Corinthian's 12 is the key. God calls us all to different things. Some to overseas missions and others to 9-5 jobs. Neither is necessarily more holy than the other. I talk a lot about this in chapters 4 & 5. Hope you enjoy the book!
- Mr Kelly, thank you so so so much for writing this book. It has literally changed my life. I can relate to it so much. I grew up in a very strict Christian home, but ironically never decided to follow Christ until I was 18 years old. I was just trying to put on a good Christian front, basically to survive and save face in front of my family, friends, church, and christian school. I finally decided to follow Christ after I came to the conclusion that following Christ does not equal being weird, it equals a heart change (although tbh now that I'm "radically normal", I do look a little weird to my family"). Now I am a dedicated Christian (definitely not perfect Christian) who wants to do whatever it takes to please God. I came across your book soon after this and it has really helped reinforce my beliefs. There are a lot of people who have been saved out of a past of grotesque sin, but I was saved out of legalism. Both are wrong, but because of Christ, he enables us to be radically normal. :)
- JamRizzi, messages like this are the reason I wrote my book! Thank YOU so much for writing this. I pray that you may be an example to your family and beyond. Let me know if there is any way I can help.
- JamRizzi Love those that might think or act as you are weird, Family sometimes breaks our hearts. But "know" you now have a Bigger Family, in Christ Jesus. And even then sometimes the Body can hurt you or let you down. God will NOT! May He send you much Love for your honesty, and keep you up right in your walk of Faith. I agree Kelley brings this to life and many need to hear or read this book. It calls us to get real.
- I'm tired of living in a black and white world. Looking for color wherever I can find it.
- Whether we like it or not as disciples of Christ, we are called to live in an unjust world, a black and white social construct made possible through the righteousness of God. John 12:46 Because of this, we have life in the kingdom of heaven but there will be death in the world. If we are disciples led by the Light of God, we shall never see death but will always have life in sharing who is Love to an unjust world. White is not the absence of color but is the fullness of color in His Light. So with regard to this Truth, our perception of life in color can only be found by the Light given to us in Christ. "For in Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him." Colossians 1:16
- Hi Simeonrw! Sorry for the delayed response - busy weekend. If I am following you, your point is that life must be lived through the truth of Christ, correct? I fully agree. In Christ, I have found greater joy and brightness, even in this life, than the world can know.
- Hi Josh. Yes, that is correct. So being able to differentiate where truth and deception are divided is key to knowing where your faith in God begins. Namely, Jesus Christ. Jesus is the One who sets this standard of division from the World. Matthew 10:34