General • 13 members
About this group
- I've been using SmartOS for a year and a half or so now, but have not used SDC at all. Is SDC7 a customized SMartOS deployment with Joyent's management tools? I downloaded the SDC vmware image and fired it up and configured it. It's rsyncing a bunch of data from joyent.
- SmartDataCenter7 (SDC) is Joyent's OpenSource cloud management suite. The SmartOS image on which SDC7 runs, on the headnode and individual compute nodes, is a custom SmartOS image created by Joyent.
- #improvement I see sorting suggested, but also wondering if in the card view that we default to ordering by status (things that are down/stopped first) and then by name. As right now that'd be the most likely use for me in that view. Thoughts?
- #improvement Can we perhaps get a version number somewhere in the UI? For knowing the version we're on. Also, unsure of the use case and/or this has been fixed already, so perhaps this is a non issue, but it doesn't appear to support mobile when I re-sized the window the UI is clipped and drawing over/under other UI.
- RE Version number, mostly for reporting issues. Most likely Ops is going to be the ones installing/maintaining it and end users won't know what version is installed for reporting issues or suggestions for the UI. Most web aps that are UI for operational things that I see have a version number, even if it's just a url back to the repo and commits. Also as an end user I could tell the ops folks, "hey I see bug x has been fixed or UI update Y has been added can we upgrade to that one?" Not a priority, just a nice to have.
- I think we're moving toward a Continuous Deployment infrastructure for sdc-portal, which means there's only one version: master. In that case, report away - even if someone is locally working on a fix, that report remains valid. Thoughts?
- More thinking long term external customers. Again, not a priority.
- I'm looking for some suggestions on books, videos, etc. to get me up to speed on react/node/etc. I spent some time reading today. The materials I found were fine, but not great. Any advice?
- Have you seen the official React tutorial already? I found that to be helpful when I started: https://facebook.github.io/react/docs/tutorial.html However, that doesn't cover littlest-isomorph and littlest-dispatcher, which are core parts of sdc-portal (and which both have very little documentation unfortunately). There's an introduction to the philosophy of Flux (implemented by littlest-dispatcher) here: http://facebook.github.io/flux/docs/overview.html
- I'll ditto @bradley-grainger (React tutorial, then Flux tutorial), and add that my "door" is always open if anyone has questions about these or, quite frankly, anything web-related. I know it's not for everyone, but I get a lot of value out of working in close proximity to people who know more about what I'm interested in than I do. Often, I learn much just by listening to what they and their team have to say to one another (e.g. DevOps).
- I've updated the readme with screenshots of the new UI work and features.
- Discussion about VNC access to VMs, cross posted from sdc-discuss list.Listbox • Email Marketing and Discussion GroupsEasy-to-use Email marketing services, where you can create your campaign in our online composer or from your own email program like Outlook or Mac Mail. Listbox also offers discussion lists, so you can manage all your mass email in one spot.www.listbox.com
- GitHub · Build software better, together.Build software better, together.github.com