Chasing A High View of Discipleship
October 31, 2021
Big Idea: Wholly Devoted Followers of Jesus are Trail Blazers whose lives point to Jesus.
What is Disciple Making?
Disciple Making is life long journey of unconditional surrender of ME for the sake of Others!
WHOLLY DEVOTED FOLLOWERS ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT: HELPING PEOPLE BECOME WHOLLY DEVOTED FOLLOWERS OF JESUS.
How To B.L.E.S.S. The Trail
Begin with PRAYER
1. B.L.E.S.S. THE FAMILY TRAIL.
2. B.L.E.S.S. THE COMMUNITY TRAIL:
3. B.L.E.S.S. THE TRAIL TO THE NATIONS.
Nomination applications are available in the CMC lobby. All applications must be turned in by Sunday, October 31, 2021.
The Elder Board at South Lake Wales Church of God gives overall direction and guidance to the work of the church.
The Elder Board is made up of eight men or women who serve staggered three years terms. In addition, two alternates are elected annually for a one-year term. The lead pastor is an elder but is the only staff member on the board.
Elder candidates are identified among South members who have demonstrated:
- a deep commitment to serve the Body of Christ at South in a year-round leadership role,
- capacity to serve as elder, and
- spiritual maturity in their walk with Christ.
Elder Nominees Are Identified by The Following Process
● Holy Spirit. The elders and the congregation pray for the Holy Spirit to guide us to the right people.
● Congregation. Each October, the elders solicit names of potential candidates from staff, lay leaders, and the congregation.
● Nominating Committee. A nominating team of one elder, the lead pastor, and three members of the congregation is designated for the sole purpose of praying and evaluating candidates. Individuals are evaluated using these 5 C's:
- Christ - their personal walk with Jesus.
- Character - do they demonstrate traits described in 1 Timothy 3.
- Competency - what leadership gifts would they bring to the team?
- Chemistry - do they share the values and culture of the team?
- Capacity - do they have margin to serve in this way?
● Lead Pastor. Candidates who align with the vision of the Church and 5 C’s are interviewed by the Lead Pastor, Nominating Committee, and Elder Chair.
●Congregation. Candidates' profiles are presented to the congregation one month prior to the annual business meeting. The congregation votes on the candidates in our annual business meeting each March.
- Art Berg – hospice/cancer (Diane Peace’s brother)
- Jim Black – recovering from surgery
- Jeff Bush – health issues
- Christy Castle– cancer treatments (Bill & Bev Brown’s daughter)
- Joyce Darr – fracture in back
- Lisa Dylina – heart issues (Liz Tingley’s mom)
- Front-Line Health Care Workers
- Lorette Garvey – hospital staff – exhaustion
- Andy Hager – pending back surgery
- Bettie Hale – lymphoma (Cora Coats’ friend)
- Debra Metcalfe Hazelwood – COVID
- Dolly Hunt – liver issues
- Ruthanne Jackson – health issues
- Joel Jenkins – hospice (Anthony’s father)
- Reece Mann – liver bile duct cancer (Joyce Collins’ nephew)
- Mike Marston – brain cancer (Trudy Frank’s brother)
- Jeanna Morino = COVID (Grace Ratzlaff’s granddaughter)
- Mary Munoz – health issues
- National Leadership
- Larry & Charlotte Porter – health issues
- Kim Ritchey – kidney issues
- Janice Robillard – neck surgery scheduled in November
- Dave Thomas – passing of his sister – Lorraine Tucker
- Joann VanDeusen – recovering from broken arm surgery – Life Care
- Chris Vasher – breast cancer (daughter of Russ & Edna Smith)
- Warner University
- Brenda Whetstone – brain cancer (Lida Agnew’s friend)