The Blessed Life: Pure in Heart
Matthew 5:8 ESV
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE PURE IN HEART?
Those who are pure in heart will do what is right, not just as a show, but rather as an expression of inner being.
1. To be pure in heart refers to having an inner moral righteousness.
2. To be pure in heart refers to being sincere—free of hypocrisy.
3. To be pure in heart refers to being single-minded in devotion to God.
Matthew 6:24, Jeremiah 29:13, Ezekiel 36:25–26
How Can My Heart Be Purified?
Refined by FIRE
Proverbs 17:3, 1 Peter 1:7
Washed by WATER
SCRIPTURE: Take time reading and allow God to speak to you. When you are done, look for a verse that particularly spoke to you that day, and write it in your journal.
Matthew 5:8, Psalm 24:3-4, Psalm 51
What do you think God is saying to you in this scripture? Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and reveal Jesus to you.
Personalize what you have read, by asking yourself how it applies to your life right now. Perhaps it is instruction, encouragement, a new promise, or corrections for a particular area of your life. Write how this scripture can apply to you today.
This can be as simple as asking God to help you use this scripture, or even a prayer for a greater insight on what He may be revealing to you. Remember, prayer is a two-way conversation, so be sure to listen to what God has to say! Now, write it out.
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION:
- What is the state of your heart today?
- Are you aware of impurity within?
- Is there consistency between your heart and your actions?
“You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.” Philippians 2:5