This Week's Prayer List
Good News of Great Joy
Here's a study you can use to prepare your heart and mind for the theme of the 3rd Sunday in Advent - Joy.
The Birth of Jesus Foretold - Luke 1:26-38
1. When was an occasion that you received an unexpected honor?
2. *How do you tend to react when you receive unexpected good news?
1. Who greeted Mary? Why? (1:26-28)
2. How did Mary learn of her role in Jesus’ birth? (1:26-28)
3. How did Mary feel when the angel appeared to her? (1:29-30)
4. *How did Gabriel describe the child that would be born to Mary? (1:31-33)
5. What title would Jesus have? (1:32)
6. What Old Testament personalities were part of Jesus’ royal line? (1:32-33)
7. Why wasn’t Mary struck dumb by the angel as Zechariah was? (1:34)
8. *How did Mary’s response to the angel differ from Zechariah’s? (1:34, 38)
9. Why did Gabriel mention Elizabeth’s pregnancy to Mary? (1:36-37)
10. What kind of attitude was apparent in Mary’s response to the angel’s visit? (1:38)
11. *What did Mary’s final statement to Gabriel show about her relationship with God? (1:38)
1. *What do Mary’s responses to Gabriel tell us about the kind of people through whom God works?
2. In what different ways do people respond to the story of Christ’s birth?
3. What difference does it make whether or not a person believes that the child born to Mary was really the Son of God?
4. *How has the fact that "with God, nothing is impossible" taken root in your life?
5. In what ways would you say Mary’s responses to Gabriel summarize what our relationship with God ought to be like?
1. *What "impossibilities" in your life do you want to thank God for this week?
2. What can you do to maintain a servant’s attitude as you live from day to day?
3. In what ways can you develop the kind of humble spirit that Mary had?