- The Fruit of the Spirit is KINDNESS. Yesterday we considered that God is a God of great PATIENCE and LOVE! “God is PATIENT, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” -2 Peter 3:9b Today, as we turn our attention to the Fruit of the Spirit KINDNESS, we see that “God’s KINDNESS leads you toward repentance.” -Romans 2:4b You will notice in today’s background photo that pathway lighting is brilliantly illuminating the way to the Sanctuary. This is a good picture of God’s KINDNESS! God’s KINDNESS is brilliant illumination leading people to His salvation! · “But when the KINDNESS and LOVE of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy.” -Titus 3:4 · “God expressed His KINDNESS to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.” Ephesians 2:7b-8 This next week, as we take a look at the Fruit of the Spirit KINDNESS, we will focus on the Holy Spirit’s work of drawing people to Jesus. In John 6:44 Jesus states: “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him.” One of the primary roles of the Holy Spirit is to draw people to Jesus! How does the Holy Spirit draw people to Jesus?? KINDNESS. It is “God’s KINDNESS that leads you toward repentance.” (Romans 2:4b) Fruit of the Spirit KINDNESS is completely different from the normal everyday kindness of which we typically think. Fruit of the Spirit KINDNESS brilliantly illuminates the dark path of life with the LIGHT of Jesus! Fruit of the Spirit KINDNESS leads people to Jesus!
- Thursday Throwback: Our “Thursday Throwback” today is from August 16, 2020. We find, as we take a look back, that once again what Pastor Jerry shared with us over a year ago is so very relevant for what we are facing today. God’s Word is not only timeless, it is always timely! Thank you, Pastor Jerry, for delivering God’s Word to us! August 16, 2020 In this lifetime we are going to have spiritual battles in our life. Satan is going to choose seasons of spiritual attack. And how you respond, how you react, how you engage has everything to do with your preparation. If you’re going to develop enduring faith, spiritual strength, wisdom for the inevitable attacks, you must engage in a course of training and preparation. The Bible is not only a story of God’s pursuit of our hearts, but its also an instruction manual on how we engage in the world that we live in. This is critical for how we live our lives. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 – “For this light and momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal glory beyond all comparison as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” Notice that statement: “They are PREPARING for us …” We’re on a journey with God. He’s taking us on a process in our lives. * Our training to live in spiritual victory must begin with a heart and life fully submitted to God. - Training begins with commitment. * Small compromises can lead to large vulnerabilities. Walking in spiritual victory requires a submitted life of commitment. It requires us to live a life of integrity, without small compromises. * Walking in spiritual victory requires that we listen to the Word of the Lord. God does not leave you to fend for yourself. We have the very presence of God in our lives. But we need to listen. We need to submit. The greatest gift that you can receive is the presence of God in your life. Training and preparation means that you need to listen to words from the coach. And if you don’t, then when the big day comes, you’re not going to be ready. You’re not going to be prepared. There are spiritual voices that you can hear that are not from God. 1 John 4:4 – “Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” Notice that statement: “He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” That is the Presence of God in your life. The presence of the Holy Spirit in your life. God has equipped you with everything you need to live a life of victory in Christ. Thank you, Lord for your Word that speaks Truth, into our lives. Thank you that your Holy Spirit is present and interprets those words exactly how we need to apply them in our own lives. The stories in the Bible, God, you have given them to us as examples in order to strengthen us and prepare us to walk fully in victory as conquerors in Your Kingdom.
- The Ridge Community Church published a newsletterReadRCC Weekly Update 09/16/21Catastrophic Consequences
A Message from Pastor Jerry
Actress Carol Burnett got out of a cab one day and caught her coat in the door. The driver was unaware of her plight and slowly began to edge out into traffic. To keep from being pulled off her feet, the comedienne had to run alongside down the block. A passerby noted her predicament and quickly alerted the driver. He stopped, jumped out, and released Miss Burnett's coat. "Are you all right?" he asked anxiously. "Yes," she gasped, "but how much more do I owe you?"
Last week, as we started our new series “His Very Own,” we listed the “attributes” of God’s kingdom. One of you mentioned “fun.” Honestly, I think we’ve lost that in many ways - the simple ability to enjoy life and laugh at ourselves. Our culture is so tense these days, you have to wonder: If Carol Burnett were starting her career today, would she ever make it in show business? This Sunday morning, we’ll try to gain a deeper understanding of our current predicament as we look at “the Fall.”
Have a great week!
- The Fruit of the Spirit is PATIENCE. The warm, gentle glow in today’s background photo has been burning for a long time. The wick has been long; the oil has been plentiful. However, time has run its course; the wick has almost reached its end; the supply of oil is just about spent. So also, God’s PATIENCE is much like this oil lamp. God, in great PATIENCE, has given humanity many warnings to turn away from sin and to turn to His salvation. · “Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.” -Isaiah 45:22 · “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness.” -Isaiah 5:20 · “Seek the LORD while He may be found; call on Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and He will have mercy on him, and to our God, for He will freely pardon.” -Isaiah 55:6-7 God is PATIENT … but God’s PATIENCE is one day going to come to an end. · “God is PATIENT, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” -2 Peter 3:9b · “But You are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love.” -Nehemiah 9:17 · “But You, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.” -Psalm 86:15 · “The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.” -Psalm 103:8 · “The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The LORD is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made.” -Psalm 145:8-9 · “Because of the LORD’s great LOVE we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.” -Lamentations 3:22 · “The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished.” -Nahum 1:3 · “Bear in mind that our Lord’s PATIENCE means salvation.” -2 Peter 3:15 · “The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is PATIENT with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. … That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with His promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.” -2 Peter 3:9-13 · “Today, if You hear His voice, do not harden your hearts.” -Hebrews 3:15 / Psalm 95:7-8 God has a long wick … offering LIGHT to all. But it won’t last forever.
- Lessons in the Dirt – Patience We have been looking at the Fruit of the Spirit Patience this past week. It occurred to me that God has created us all with different and varying degrees of patience … for His specific purposes for us. In nature, cactus plants have great patience for drought conditions. Lupines, on the other hand, have great patience for sub-alpine conditions. Sunflowers have great patience for full-sun conditions. Fuscias have great patience for full-shade conditions. Personally, in my own life, I have great patience when it comes to tedious weeding out in the garden. My kids, however, have zero tolerance or patience for weeding. My son has great patience when it comes to learning and utilizing new technology. I have zero patience when it comes to anything technology related. Both my husband and daughter have great patience when it comes to listening to people’s woes and responding with wisdom and helpful counsel. As a result, their lives are filled with acquaintances, co-workers, family, and friends seeking them out for counsel and direction. The patience which God has gifted my husband and daughter is making the world a brighter, better place! I have not been gifted with that particular variety of patience, but God has gifted me with my own particular kind of patience, which is making the world a brighter, better place in a different way. We each have been gifted by God with unique patience, in a unique area. Yes, there are areas where we each struggle with patience. But take heart, you have a gift of patience you might not have realized. Your unique gift of patience is bringing help to those God has placed in your life … and making the world a brighter, better place!
- The Fruit of the Spirit is PATIENCE. The Fruit of the Spirit begins first and foremost with LOVE. God has great LOVE for us! As we rest securely in God’s LOVE, the Holy Spirit will cause God’s LOVE to flow through us to others. As we rest securely in God’s LOVE, the Holy Spirit fills us with JOY … JOY in who God is, who God has made us to be, and in God’s Sovereignty over the world! As we rest securely in God’s LOVE, the Holy Spirit covers and protects our hearts with His supernatural PEACE. As we rest securely in God’s LOVE, the Holy Spirit allows God’s PEACE to flow through us to others … in the form of PATIENCE. “A heart at PEACE gives life to the body…” (Proverbs 14:30a). It is only when we are at PEACE, that we can then have PATIENCE with the chaos, flames, and smoke produced by others all around us. Our Daily-verse today states: “Be completely humble and gentle; be PATIENT, bearing with one another in LOVE.” -Ephesians 4:2 What is the key to having Fruit of the Spirit PATIENCE?? LOVE. * God’s LOVE, flowing through our hearts to others, allows us to be humble and gentle with each other. * God’s LOVE, flowing through our hearts to others, allows us to bear with each other. * God’s LOVE, flowing through our hearts to others, gives us wisdom to know how to respond. * God’s LOVE, flowing through our hearts to others, allows us to speak words of life to each other. * “LOVE is PATIENT.” -1 Corinthians 13:4 * “A gentle answer turns away wrath.” -Proverbs 15:1a * “A PATIENT person has great understanding” -Proverbs 14:29a * “The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life.” -Proverbs 15:4a * “Be completely humble and gentle; be PATIENT, bearing with one another in LOVE.” -Ephesians 4:2
- The Fruit of the Spirit is PATIENCE. Today’s background photo is not at all like the previous photos thus far in our look at PATIENCE. Rather than a fuse, today’s light is coming from a long wick, saturated in pure, clear oil. The result is a gentle, steady, welcoming glow. This is what the Holy Spirit’s fruit of PATIENCE looks like! “God is LIGHT; in Him there is no darkness at all.” (1 John 1:5) The LIGHT of God is not one of sparks, flame, or smoke. The LIGHT of God is a gentle, steady, welcoming glow of hope, help, and healing. If we are followers of Jesus Christ, we will “walk in the LIGHT as He is in the LIGHT.” (1 John 1:7) This means that our LIGHT should also be a gentle, steady, welcoming glow of hope, help, and healing. How is it possible for us to have this kind of LIGHT?? The Holy Spirit! When God cleanses our hearts from sin, the Holy Spirit replaces our short fuse with a long wick (Ezekiel 36:25-27 – “I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.”). Our Daily-verse today states: “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with … PATIENCE.” - Colossians 3:12 When the Holy Spirit replaces our short fuse with a long wick, we become completely different! Previously, our short fuse was wrapped/”clothed” with sin and selfishness … volatile and just waiting to blow up. But no more! When the Holy Spirit changes us, He takes all that old away! He completely makes us new! He replaces the short fuse with a long wick, and “clothes” us with His righteousness. Our background photo no longer shows a short stick full of smoke-bomb chemicals or explosive danger … but rather a spotless glass lamp housing a gentle, controlled flame. This what it looks like when the Holy Spirit clothes us with righteousness! This is what it looks like to be clothed in PATIENCE! “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with … PATIENCE.” - Colossians 3:12
Please pray.Please pray for Pastor Matthew and Mary as they are moving today! Please pray that God will be with their move and that every detail of the move will go smoothly! Please pray for them as they get re-settled and re-established! Please pray that God will use Pastor Matthew and Mary in a mighty way as they serve and as Pastor Matthew shepherds the people in their home village!
- The Fruit of the Spirit is PATIENCE. In today’s background photo sparks are flying. It is not a flame of anger or rage. It is not a spew of poisonous smoke and fumes. It’s just a few sparks. A few sparks can’t hurt much … can they?? * “Reckless words pierce like a sword.” -Proverbs 12:18a * “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.” Proverbs 10:19 Sometimes when our fuse is lit, we instinctively react by popping off a few sparks! We’re not blowing a flame of anger all over people. We’re not spewing poisonous smoke all over people. It’s just a few sparks … a few snappy words, a short temper, a cold shoulder. It can’t hurt that much … can it?? Yes! Yes it can! “The tongue has the power of life and death.” (Proverbs 18:21) Reckless words absolutely can do much damage! We need the Holy Spirit!! The Holy Spirit’s POWER will quench those sparks; the Holy Spirit will give us wisdom to speak words of life; the Holy Spirit will give us humility to respond with LOVE and PATIENCE. * “Be completely humble and gentle; be PATIENT, bearing with one another in LOVE.” -Ephesians 4:2 * ”A person’s wisdom yields PATIENCE; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense.” -Proverbs 19:11 * “A person of understanding holds their tongue.” -Proverbs 11:12a * “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” Proverbs 12:18 The Sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God) will produce the Fruit of the Spirit PATIENCE.