- Unashamed Student Ministry published a newsletterReadThe "U"pdateWalking Alongside Parents as they Disciple their teens
God the Sovereign King
I know many of you personally, while others I’ve only gotten to know through your kids. I’m sure you have an opinion about who I am and what I do. You know how this works, though – we can end up even misjudging the people we know well.
I bring this up because somewhere in the midst of knowing each other or even being acquaintances we have to trust each other. You have some measure of trust that when your teens are with our ministry, we’re doing all we can to love and lead them into something genuine with God. I likewise trust that you’re growing into what it means to do what God specifically asked you to do in Deuteronomy 6 by being the primary spiritual leader in your child’s life.
That's why I send these letters. I hope you read them because I believe we're in this together. Research shows you're the greatest influence in your kid's life, whether you're consistent or inconsistent with God. Likewise, we'd like to on this end be the greatest compliment to that.
Our theme last night and for the next two weeks is rather fitting for that purpose. We’re going to be focusing on God’s sovereignty. We’ll remind your teenager that God is sovereign over everything, and that the Lord is always speaking to us, trying to guide us to trust Him. Thankfully, He is trustworthy and good in nature. Each of the next two Thursdays I will send out a newsletter with what we studied the night before and upcoming event announcements.
If you’re open to it, I have some ideas that you can do on your end to further this:
- Don’t just pray for your child, but actually pray with your child. It may feel awkward to pray out loud, but just like you taught them their first words to speak into the world you can help grow their vocabulary and conversation with God.
- Talk about the things in your life that you’re trusting God with, including things you could take a shortcut on but won’t.
- Use some of the letters I send you to think about how to bring up this concept in your everyday conversations.
- Regularly take part in church together.
I’m so thankful to be in this with you. In the event we’re still getting to know each other, let’s grow that relationship even more in the near future. I’m praying for you, and I’d love for you to please pray for me. If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.