John F. MacArthur Jr.
Author • 21 members • 983 followers
About this group
- Folks, as many of you may know John has celebrated 50 years of preaching at Grace Community Church. I would like to give you an opportunity to share with him how his ministry has affected you. Please post here or send me a private message that you would like shared with John. It can be a short audio message or a written post. Please nothing too long (no books though many of us could do that because he had that much of an affect). Please no personal requests. This is not a chance to ask him to do something for you. those messages will not be shared with him. So only messages of how God's ministry through John has helped you.
- I am studying 1pe 4.1 and specifically how it can be that whoever suffers in the flesh has ceased from sin. In praying and searching the scriptures I found heb 2:18 which provided some insight into this. It occurred to me that what 1 pe 4:1 is specifically talking about is us suffering in the flesh by not yielding to temptation. When we are fighting the good fight of the faith we are not sinning. Essentially it is God’s will we put our flesh to death Gal 5:24 and die to self. Not to physically kill ourselves but instead not yielding to the passions and desires of our flesh. It appears to also be true that God’s will is that this suffering can be to the point of us actually shedding our blood (not by our own hand) as history and even our brethren today who are tortured for Christ are enduring. I am not saying in any way, shape or form that this suffering is for our sins. Jesus did that for us as only he could do. Praise God, thank you Jesus.
- 1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, Ephesians 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Romans 6:2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Romans 6:7 For one who has died has been set free from sin. Galatians 5:24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Colossians 3:3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3:5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 2 Peter 2:14 They have eyes full of adultery, insatiable for sin. They entice unsteady souls. They have hearts trained in greed. Accursed children! Romans 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. Romans 14:7 For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 2 Corinthians 5:15 and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. 1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, Titus 2:12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. Romans 6:11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. Ezekiel 44:6 And say to the rebellious house, to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord God: O house of Israel, enough of all your abominations, Ezekiel 45:9 “Thus says the Lord God: Enough, O princes of Israel! Put away violence and oppression, and execute justice and righteousness. Cease your evictions of my people, declares the Lord God. Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,
- Hebrews 2:18 (ESV): 18 For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
- Please consider joining my friend Justin Peters as he helps people to understand that God can use our suffering for our sanctification. There are so many people that are struggling and many do not know how much they are suffering and often alone. This conference will help you to help others with the struggle in a sinful world. This conference will be held March 15-16th in Freehold, NJ. Please share with others and register at https://strivingforeternity.org/conference-on-suffering.Conference on SufferingSanctification through Suffering Conference Conference Held March 15-16 2019 at the Chinese American Bible Church, 65 Gibson Place, Freehold, NJ, 07728 Many people struggle with life, even Christians. However, for the Christian suffering with anxiety, depression or phystrivingforeternity.org
- MistypesI believe what Dr. MacArthur meant here was that "Like Jeremiah, Paul could *not refrain from preaching".1 Corinthians 9:16–181 Corinthians: The MacArthur New Testament CommentaryFor if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. (9:16–18) Paul spoke of boasting in the Lord (1 Cor. 1:31), “boasting in things pertaining to God” (Rom. 15:17), and such. Even more often he spoke of rejoicing
- One great difference exists between herding sheep and leading a church. Shepherding animals is only semiskilled labor. No colleges offer graduate degrees in shepherding. It isn’t an extremely difficult job. Even a dog can be trained to guard a flock of sheep. In biblical times, young boys—David, for example—herded sheep while the older men did tasks that required more skill and maturity. MacArthur, J. F., Jr. (1991). The Master’s plan for the church (p. 16). Chicago: Moody Press. This paragraph is categorically wrong. It's the understanding of people who have no experience with livestock. You missed the whole point. All dog breeds were initially designed for a specific purpose or instinct. Yes there can be some cross training. However, God designed each breed with an inner instinct for service. Just one example is a sheep dog. But their heart and head herds sheep or cattle. They can't help it. The shepherds instinct is the same. Even though David started young, his passion was to love his sheep and put his life down for his sheep. The rest of society may have looked down on them shepherds, but that's not the point here. He grew up in the lambing sheds, was a full care giver in training from the day he was big enough do follow his brothers in the pens. They would NOT have sent him into the wilds without confidence that he would protect the sheep from lions, bears and wolves. I think men who God has called as shepherds also have that instinct. They don't see broken windows, weeds in the yard, dripping taps in the church kitchen. I could say a lot more about the sheep dog and how he exhibits a Biblical Shepherd.The Master’s Plan for the ChurchOne great difference exists between herding sheep and leading a church. Shepherding animals is only semiskilled labor. No colleges offer graduate degrees in shepherding. It isn’t an extremely difficult job. Even a dog can be trained to guard a flock of sheep. In biblical times, young boys—David, for example—herded sheep while the older men did tasks that required more skill and maturity.
- ...and many of them (dogs) don't even need training! Set them to their task, and they don't need human interference. Same with a great minister... does his job regardless of what others might "advise" him to do.
- In your commentary on Titus 2.9 you state, "Nowhere in Scripture is rebellion or revolution justified in order to gain freedom, opportunity, or economic, social, or political rights." MacArthur, J. F., Jr. (1996). Titus (p. 98). Chicago: Moody Press. With this statement do you reject for Biblical reasons the American Revolution against the tyranny of England? My understanding is that many took great care that their resistance was based upon Biblical examples.
- Christians defending the slaughter of innocent people doesn't strike me as being a Christ Like quality.
- who is innocent?
- In the OT the book of Judges the nation of Israel revolted against oppression of pagans with the Help of God and leading of God . God is the one how fought the battles.
- This year will celebrate John Macarthur's 50th year as pastor of the same church Grace Community Church. John has had an impact throughout the world. This year's Shepherds' Conference will focus on the topic of faithfulness. We hope to see you all there. This post is a hope that you would share how Dr. MacArthur has been a blessing to you.
- Porque dice que Maria tenia 13 años cuando concibe al Mesias en Pag. 115 del libro Tematico de grandes temas de la Biblia. Cual es la base que utilizo para dar esta edad. Gracias Dios le bendiga
- 1 Timothy 2:11-12 Why some women and men insist on women being pastor and teachers? Therefore, some commentaries suggest that women are included as elders and overseers role in the church. Did Paul mean it for a specific church? Or all churches? Was the command for a cultural or for an ethical reason?
- I just read a commentary on Philippians by Gordon Fee. He promotes women pastors and quite honestly argues for in places where the text does not.
Joel Nadel — EditedEve did not sin first. Adam was standing there with her when the serpent seduced them. "When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. New American Standard Bible: 1995 update. (1995). (Ge 3:6). La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation."
- Men lead, women support. Period. Women - in their kindness - have difficulty holding strong to biblical principles. In my town, it is the women-led churches who have lenient congregations. I won't go into what they are lenient about, but they water down and restructure the Word to suit social expectations, as others have done in prior centuries. I don't want to start a war, and many women agree with me. I firmly believe men should be ministers and lead the churches. Women can serve and lead women's bible studies. Golly... I've always thought that if Gloria Steinham had understood how wonderful and deep Proverbs 31 is, I think the world would be in a better place! Oh... I'm a woman. Before you other women start in on me, I am not going to change my mind. I refuse to go to any woman-led church, always missing the strength and conviction that it takes to stand firm in the face of adversity. That kindness is meant for nurturing and service, not for leadership.
- Pastor MacArthur's ministry has had a significant impact on my spiritual development. Finding his commentaries and books on Logos has been a blessing. I am working my way deliberately through the NT commentary series and sermon series - just amazing and so enlightening. I find the Logos linking especially helpful in moving from commentary to the bible and creating notes. Thank you to the Grace team and for this ministry . Blessings, Brian