How Do I . . . . ?
- Update or complete my profile. Select the icon (or picture) in the upper right corner and select profile. Next select "update my profile." Expand each topic by selecting the arrowhead before each section. You can update your own information whenever it changes.
- Get the EBEACON and/or PRAYER REQUESTS. In the column on the left, near the bottom of the column you will see a list of groups. Select the group you want and then select "ask to join". Come back to this page and do the same thing for every group you want to join. All newsletters and emails from that group will be sent to the email in your profile. It will also be available in your "newsfeed," (which is what you are reading right now).
- How do I SEND A PRAYER REQUEST? You can send a request to everyone in our faithlife group by posting right to this feed with the "prayer" feature. If you want to send it to just people in the Prayer Request Group, select the group. Then select Content. Then select newsletter. Then select CREATE NEWSLETTER.
- HOW DO I READ AN OLD E-BEACON? Go to the E-Beacon Group and the feed will have the old e-Beacons in it.
- HOW DO I WATCH A SERMON VIDEO or GO THE SERMON ARCHIVE? Go to the church webpage at www.unionchurch.com
- HOW DO I WATCH FAITHLIFE TV? Go to www.FaithlifeTv.com and type in the user name and password you used to register with Faithlife. DO NOT choose the 14 day free trial.
- Welcome to this News section of the Union Church of La Harpe. This is the place to put announcements, prayer requests and questions. PLEASE DO NOT PASTE ARTICLES FROM FACEBOOK OR OTHER SOURCES. This is the spot for us to communicate with each other. This is a place of fellowship and encouragement.
Prayer for a New Day 6.24.21Take control of what I say, O LORD,
and guard my lips.
Don’t let me drift toward evil
or take part in acts of wickedness.
Don’t let me share in the delicacies
of those who do wrong.
Here is a good prayer for a new day. Lord guide our lips and our feet. Lead us to speak words that heal rather than words that destroy. Help me to build up rather than to destroy.
Keep me from what I consider "little compromises" because I know they will eventually overtake my soul and lead me away from you, O Lord.
Help me to hunger for your truth more than the delicacies of the world around me. Amen.
The Glory of ?? 6.23.21
Those who speak for themselves want glory only for themselves, but a person who seeks to honor the one who sent him speaks truth, not lies. (John 7:18).
This is a corrective for those who witness and those who stand up and preach . . . if our primary concern is being liked, looking cool, or "tickling the ears" of those who listen, we are not seeking God's glory but ours.
If on the other hand we carefully share the truth of the gospel and speak words of love, we are seeking the glory of God. Sometimes the Word of God will offend. This is because it is more concerned with telling us the truth than soothing our fragile ego. It is like a Doctor who speaks to you truthfully about your situation rather than just telling you what you want to hear.
Seek His glory in what you say and do.
The Gift of God 6.22.21
The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. John 6:63.
There are many people who will tell you they hope they have done enough to gain eternal life. They strive to be "good enough." Such statements show they do not understand the gospel!
Salvation and new life is a gift to be received. It is the work of God's Spirit in drawing us to Him and changing our hearts. It is the Spirit who lives in us to guide us to the life to which God has called us. Salvation is not a reward given to good people (which leads to boasting) it is a gift to sinful people.
Once you hear what this verse (and the many others that surround it) is proclaiming, it is liberating. You are set free from that treadmill of trying to earn salvation (an impossible task). You are a redeemed and transformed person.
Receive the gift. Stop trying to be good enough and experience the liberation and new life that comes from trusting Him to save you by His mercy and grace.
- Predicting Betrayal - John 13:18-30John 13:18-30 ©June 20th, 2021 by Rev. Rick Goettsche SERIES: John At some point in our lives, most of us have experienced some form of betrayal. Maybe it was a friend who promised to keep a confidence but then shared information that harmed you. Maybe it was someone who pretended to be your friend to…sermons.faithlife.com
On the Field 6.20.21Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight for the true faith. Hold tightly to the eternal life to which God has called you, which you have declared so well before many witnesses.
1 Timothy 6:11–12.
Salvation is a gift that comes from God alone. You can't earn it, you can only receive it humbly and gratefully. Growth in faith and Christ-filled living is the result of working with God; walking with Him and pursuing, working, fighting, and holding tightly.
The person who has been genuinely saved; the person who truly believes; is filled with God's Spirit. That Spirit works in us to produce godly character. This does not happen without our cooperation. The true believer FOLLOWS Christ. They do not merely talk about it.
Being a Christian is not just about what happens to you when you die. It is also about a transformed life NOW. Pursue Him. Do so energetically. Open your arms to the transforming power of God. Resist the urge to be a Christian "in the stands." Get into the game!
- Here is the livestream link for tomorrow, June 20th, 2021 https://youtu.be/ghe-T2c0cI4Predicting Betrayal - John 13:18-30This is the live stream of the 8:00 service on June 20th, 2021 at the Union Church of La Harpe. Preaching is Rev. Rick Goettsche. For more from this pastor c...youtu.be
Storms 6.19.2171 It is good for me that I was afflicted,
that I might learn your statutes.
72 The law of your mouth is better to me
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
These are tough words. It is hard to look at afflictions and see them as blessings. However, God forms and fashions us through the hard times. It is here that we learn faith.
This has certainly been true for me. It has been in the most desperate times that I learned the depth of God's love and the sufficiency of His grace. This is why I love "Every Moment Belongs" by Jason Gray. Here is the chorus to the song . . .
Cause every trial and triumph that I've been through
Were just the chapters in the story of my rescue
And whether I was brave or afraid your love was strong.
Through every mountain and valley to where I stand
You took each moment and me just who I am
And from here, I can see you were with me all along.
It's so clear to me now
Every moment belongs. (from Order, Disorder, Reorder)
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven,
but dwelling on it separates close friends.
There are few things as powerful, freeing, and relationship building as forgiveness. Resentment, bitterness, and playing hurt over and over are like cancer that poisons your entire being.
Search your heart today. Is there a hurt you are holding on to? Confess this before the Lord and then work hard to forgive. You will find that you have new freedom. And if you have truly forgiven you will have the chance for a deeper relationship with the one who hurt you.
As believers, we know the power of forgiveness because God has forgiven us through Christ. Why not extend that forgiveness to others?