Logos Syntax Search
Discussion Topic • 8 members • 374 followers
About this group
Group for sharing Syntax Search Documents (via Logos Bible Software) and for discussing syntax searching.
- Hi there. I was wondering if there was any way to search for instances of a particular use of Greek words such as extensive perfects or genitives of production
- <Person God> INTERSECTS (keepeth OR keeps) I was trying to find verses about God keeping His promises. This gives me a couple about Him keeping covenant. Just wanted to see if anyone had a better search. Thanx for your time.
- I would probably run a search more like this with some additional synonymous terms added in. <Person God> INTERSECTS (keep*,kept,covenant,mercy,promise*) This also adds in the * wildcard so that one entry of "keep*" finds "keep","keeps","keepeth", etc. Hope this helps.
- Search All Bible Text in Job in King James Version for ("I will" INTERSECTS <Person Job>) WITHIN 9 words <Lemma = lbs/he/לֹא> Give nothing. I think there are some that it should show. What am I doing wrong?
Phil Gons (Faithlife) — Edited>I was looking in "https://wiki.logos.com/detailed_search_help#Wildcards" for "embedded operator" to be defined or listed, but did not see it. Could you give a definition, list, or example? Thanx "Embedded operator" isn't the right technical language. The technical way to describe this is that most operators cannot be used as the operand of a proximity operator. This thread explains the problem in a bit more detail: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/179392.aspx. We have a bug case in our system and hope to fix this in the near future.
- Thanx much for all you do. I appreciate all the helpers here.
- You're welcome. My pleasure!
- Hello- I am new to Logos. Forgive my (hopefully not redundant) post. I am trying to locate a suffix, each occurrence in BHS. How would I do so? Also- Is there a "cheat sheet" of command functions or something like that out there? Thanks!
- I'm don't have time to verify these results right now, but try: https://ref.ly/logos4/Search?kind=MorphSearch&q=%3CLogosMorphHeb+~+RS3MP%3f%3f%3E+INTERSECTS+*%D7%95&match=nostem&exactref=true&in=raw:Single%7CResourceId%3dLLS:LHB (looks like this: <LogosMorphHeb ~ RS3MP??> INTERSECTS ו* but note that the asterisk was typed with my keyboard set to Hebrew so that the text direction is correct)
- That sort of did the trick- better than the 1,000 results I would need to sift through with the first suggestion. The majority of occurrences in Exodus 15 are present. I will look through the rest to verify the search- Thanks again!
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) — EditedGood thought on using the "INTERSECTS" command to find that Reuben! BTW Matthew, if you are curious about where to find more information about search operators like the "INTERSECTS" operator, you can find a good representation of them with explanation here: https://wiki.logos.com/detailed_search_help#The_WITHIN_and_INTERSECTS_Operators.
- Hi all. I'm trying to get Logos 8 to show me all the verbs in a passage. Can anyone give me an idea if Logos is capable of doing this. I know Accordance has this feature, but I'm struggling to find it in Logos. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.
- Could someone shed light on the difference in these results (8 vs 44)?
- Thanks, Rick Brannan (Faithlife). FWIW, "matching skips levels" has no affect on the result count (and shouldn't since this all about on the same word). In ALL results the order should be the same in this search, but it's interesting that when I insert "unordered group" between Visual Word and Text Segments, I get 18 hits (still not 44). How would I allow intervening items between the two segments?
- You could slip an "Anything" between the Text Segments.
- This gives me 18 hits (same as putting "Unordered" between word and segments). I suspect it has to do with results where both accents are on the same segment. I say this because I get 26 hits when I combine all three accents on the same segment. Is there a way to have an "OR" for a particular segment?
- How can I find a certain word at the first position in the verse using Cascadia (the option "appears at the beginning" in the context menue does not work for that purpose. Thank you! Thomas https://documents.logos.com/documents/d96905899a164bfd87ada173170bb607
- Dear friends, the diagramming module in Logos is disabled (in grey). I am using Logos 7 Academic. Kindly help how to enable it. Thanks, Joseph John
- Hi Joseph - did this use to work for you? It does require either a Feature Set or a Faithlife Connect subscription? Did you have a Connect Subscription that might have expired? Graham
- Thanks so much, Graham. Yes, I did talk to Logos personnel, they too advised me to go for a feature set, which is expensive for me at the moment. But what is this 'Faithlife connect subscription?' I am not aware of it.
- Faithlife Connect is a subscription service to gain access to Logos features, resources and other benefits. It is outlined at https://connect.faithlife.com/ To get access to the diagramming module you would need a minimum of Faithlife Eseentials - the different tiers with associated pricing are shown at https://connect.faithlife.com/pricing
- Help needed for a reconstruction of 1Tim 1,15 in a search. Hello all, another Logos user and I tried to figure out, how 1Tim 1,15 (the construction of the adjectival phrase, split by the Subjekt) could be remodeled, but we could not succeed, maybe not possible or we did not understand how to do it - both is possible, the later more probable. Thank you ! Maranatha! Peter
- I don't fully understand why it works this way. But, I was able to figure it out (I had to work with gaps quite a bit back in the day). Three hits come back. Let me know if you have any questions.
- By the way, make sure you notice the Matching Skips Levels between the Gap and the Word1.
- dear Ryan, thanks goes to the Lord and to you - it indeed works and I could reconstruct your search on my system. It is able to provide further consideration for similar queries. I already thought: no way to get it. Simply great! Yours Peter